Compressed co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following along. I'd like to know how often I'm going to have to fill my 20lb cylinders. Tank size and BPS rate info would be great!

I don't know yet. But I'm running 1-2bps in my 40 and 3-4bps on my 125 and have been doing so for a little over a month now... my 5lb cylinder is still going strong. I'm most likely going to upgrade to a 20lb cylinder though.

I've been running 1-2bps for the past year (since May 2010) in my 30g long. I run it for ~8 hours a day. I still haven't emptied the 5lb tank.

yeah, there's a lot of gas in those 5# tanks.

I ran a 5# tank at 4bps on my 125, and 2bps on each of 2 other separate tanks for 11-12 hours per day and it took me 4-5 months to empty the tank.

Thanks guys! So basically you're telling me the hydrotest date on my 20lb cylinder will expire before I run out of CO2 for my 20H. :D

Adding one more data point, I already had everything I needed to setup a 9pz & it lasted me one day.

Now, I didn't have a bubble counter (yet) but was able to stabilize on a one ph drop which lasted 12hours. My tank is 180 gallon.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to go buy a new reg & 5lbs tank... Or if I should just fill my 20oz (again same reg as the 9oz) & go.

My research says if 9oz lasts one day then 5 lbs should last me 71 days or 2.5 months. But some of you are getting a whole lot more out of your 5lbs tanks?

Justin

I think a lot depends on how long you run the CO2 also. Some people will let theirs run all night. I have mine on for only 8-9 hours a day. Even at 2 bps, you are practically sipping the CO2 out of the tank. I'm pleasantly surprised by how long mine has lasted. There were a few days scattered over this past year that I didn't run it but that was rare, not the norm.

Back
Top Bottom