Concern For the Future of a Planted 10gl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lofi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new at this. I've been working towards having an established Planted tank since March 1st- In my 20gl it was slow to establish, but soon began to thrive. However as of late everything has pretty much died, so I began transferring a lot of my plants to my 10gl.

I followed this regime for my 20gl and halved it for my 10gl:

I dose 1/8 teaspoon of KN03, Equilibrium, 1/16 of KH2P04 and 2mls of Flourish once a week over the span of two days. I try to do weekly water changes of 20% as well but am sometimes unable to.

Currently for the 20gl, I'm struggling getting the Nitrates down aswell. After the mass genocide of plants I haven't had a test not be on or over 40ppm. water changes, filter cleaning has not solved it over the course of 2 weeks.

All the plants I have in the 10 are thriving. But because of the collapse I experienced in the 20gl I am worried that the same will occur in my 10gl. I don't understand why it happened, what I can do to prevent it, and what I'm possibly missing. The only difference between the two, is that I have EcoComplete in the 20, and Fluval Shrimp Stratum in the 10.
I've left sad pictures of the before and after of my 20, and the current state of my 10gl.

Thank you for any advice you have to give. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
How did you determine the amount you were dosing? It feels high to me. I think changing more water will help reset values. Also, if you see accumulation even with water changes it makes sense to adjust ferts down or water changes up

There is no perfect amount but given the circumstances that is what I would think through first

When I was running a high tech tank, I would often skip the KNO3 or at least limit it to 2-3x a week. I was following the PPS-Pro regimen. The bioload was moderate at best. I used EcoComplete and had years of detritus buildup in there.
I would imagine the need would be rather low in your tank based on the plant density.

Back
Top Bottom