Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My toddlers tank

Aquarium Advice Activist
:thanks: to the wonderful people who identified my house plants... Not aquarium plants. :( and gave me such wonderful options for low light plants, I wanted to say both spider plants are safe in a pot on my end table now enjoying the soil and air. My beta however is not keen on this change and has been moping around all day, the last time he acted like this he got ick.

I have decided that I am going to add some lemon bacopa, and some wisteria in the next month or soo.

My question is this, I have gravel, and from reading a lot of reading here this is not the ideal suggestion for plants, I really don't have any desire to pull the betta and the glow lights out and the drift wood etc in order to put sand under the gravel, I have seen little clay planting pots and plastic planting pots being used in the aquariums, trying to decided if I were to put the plants in these with some sand or if I could just place them in the gravel as we have no one that will disrupt the rocks at the moment , and only plan to add dwarf otocinlus in the future

Pros- cons are welcome

Gravel isn't ideal for plants. Putting them in pots would be better. You could even try burying the pots so the tops are exposed, but the pots would be hidden and you wouldn't have to make a big switch to sand.

Alot depends on the size of the gravel. Alot of people use gravel but large gravel isn't the greatest for planting in. If you happen to have a smaller sized gravel you can plant in it just fine. A few people on here use pots.

Alright I think I will try pots can I use the little clay ones that ppl usually paint or should I use plastic?

I am not sure what my gravel size is in the past I have planted grass like plants they did well and even spread a little but I am sad to say I was not keen on advice in the past and they didn't stay happy for long.

In the pots is there anything besides sand I should add?

The plants will be fine in the gravel as long as its not too chunky. Pea sized gravel and smaller is fine. You can add root tabs to feed them and (as long as they have correct lighting) they should be happy enough.

Mumma.of.two said:
The plants will be fine in the gravel as long as its not too chunky. Pea sized gravel and smaller is fine. You can add root tabs to feed them and (as long as they have correct lighting) they should be happy enough.

Definitely. All of my early planted tanks had pea gravel and were filled with thriving plants.

Great I will definitely get some root tabs when I pick up my plants, I had to google to figure out what root tabs were lol. They sound much easier than adding iron like I did in the past.

Back
Top Bottom