Constructive crit pls.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
My first planted tank, Fluval spec v, 5G for a dwarf puffer (still at lfs :))

These plants have just gone in, I did do some reading but please advise if they should or could be planted in a different way or place!

Lighting is 37 high output, 7500k LED strip. Thought I would show you what I have a see if I need liquid ferts and/or root tabs??

I have;
Elecocharis
Bacopa
Hygrophilia
Limnophilia
Echinodorus

Many thanks for any input you could offer. X

image-1629038107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks good! A close up full tank shot would probably help us see a little better.

It looks very nice! I can't really criticize because I have never kept a Dwarf Puffer. Maybe sharing your fertilizer dosing would help people criticize! :p

I think the tank scape looks great! Densely planted with plenty of hiding spots for your dwarf puffs. I have 3 dps in my 10g halfmoon.

Thanks all, I am pleased with first attemp...now to keep them alive!!

Close up as requested ;-)

image-324408206.jpg

I think the tank scape looks great! Densely planted with plenty of hiding spots for your dwarf puffs. I have 3 dps in my 10g halfmoon.

Would love to see your guys if you have any pics please? Do u breed snails for yours? My LFS have said they will just give me when ever I need?! Nice.

Oh and yes, i feed mine snails. I have pond snails growing in my other tanks. I have fun picking them out and feeding them to the puffers. I also feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Oh and yes, i feed mine snails. I have pond snails growing in my other tanks. I have fun picking them out and feeding them to the puffers. I also feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Great video and pic!! Beautiful tank too. Can't wait to bring home one of those little dudes soon!! Thanks again for comments.

Looks great. I honestly suggest more than one dwarf puffer if you can. You will see they have personalities and seem pretty lonely when by themselves. All of mine have been there 3 years except the SAP hes only been there a year and a half. Easy to take care of. Not as aggressive as everyone says--actually slow and docile. Slow to eat though. I always take a cube of frozen bloodworms, thaw and toss in. Dwarves are the last to eat. I've owned a few and they are really cool.

I've also found they dont really go for snails. My SAP does but not the dwarves. The pest snails are pretty big for the dwarves. It cant hurt and they will try to eat them so if you can, put them in! I'm having problems finding pest snails lol.

Thank you very much! It's always good to talk with someone who actually has them :) would love to see your tank and puffers...I think I will get 2, it's only a 5G so as they grow I will need a bigger tank!! Yay!! (herd it should be 5G per puff?)

I have bloodworm for my other tank so will have a back up plan if they don't go for snails. Will post pics as soon as I get them :-D

Reading this thread makes me want to set up a planted dwarf puffer tank! ...Dang it... keep us updated maybe do a journal I'll be sure to follow :)

Other then that I think your plant placement is pretty good for a first try ..I'm not sure what the plants in the front center'ish arts are but if they start getting taller you might want to move them to the back

Reading this thread makes me want to set up a planted dwarf puffer tank! ...Dang it... keep us updated maybe do a journal I'll be sure to follow :)

Other then that I think your plant placement is pretty good for a first try ..I'm not sure what the plants in the front center'ish arts are but if they start getting taller you might want to move them to the back

Thank you, will keep an eye on it (limnophila) They said it would be 'bushy'.....only time will tell. I will just be glad if it's alive in a couple of weeks :)

Happy to keep u guys updated, I can't talk enthusiastically to my family about my fish...they think I'm crazy!!

I did some reading and I would say it should be fine it's considered to be easy and invasive if given the right conditions... but im site you'll get great growth under your circumstances

I know how you feel! No really cares about my aquariums when I first brought up the idea in my house everyone thought I was crazy... once it was set up, everyone wants to pitch in haha

Well Gizmo seems to like his new home so far?! Like you said Tabbycat, he likes to nip at the snails but seems to prefer to eat bloodworms.

image-390384056.jpg

Loves to stalk the snails tho, they seem to provide some interest and entertainment (poor snails :-/ )

image-4022925451.jpg

Back
Top Bottom