Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Continue to have algae

My plants are growing, but algae continues to be a problem. Using excel, flourish, and ample lighting. Total newbie, getting frustrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	304119  

Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASH2 View Post
My plants are growing, but algae continues to be a problem. Using excel, flourish, and ample lighting. Total newbie, getting frustrated.
Hello BASH...

Algae will thrive in high nutrient water. If your plants and fish aren't using all the food, then you have an ideal environment for a simple organism like algae. A little is a sign you're keeping a healthy tank. It's a good water filter and food supplement for your fish. A lot of algae means you're over feeding. Large, frequent water changes work best for controlling it and avoid fish foods that contain phosphate. By simply removing and replacing half or more of the tank water weekly, you'll significantly reduce algae growth and improve the general health of your tank.

B

Old 09-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASH2 View Post

Please define ample lighting. What is the make/model of the fixture and duration of light period? What is the size of the tank and what is your normal water change schedule?
How often and how much Excel and Flourish is being added?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

use your lighting only 7 or 8 hours a day! Overuse of lighting might cause algae overgrowth.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Light Nutrients and CO2... One of these are out of whack.

try moving the light further away front the water line. Your mention of ample light suggest it may be too ample... Do those water changes weekly.

Ironically under feeding plants can also cause algae if the plants have lots of light but not enough nutrients this to can cause the imbalance,

Excel (liquid CO2) can work in tanks with medium to low light but may also not be enough with too much light. If the light is strong the only way to win that battle is CO2 injection.. SO we go back to moving the light further away from the water line.

Look up H2O2 algae treatments for temporary fix

Remember to adjust one thing at a time and observe.. You'll get it, but be patient..
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com