controlling algae in a planted tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsuper76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon planted tank that suddenly turned green...I had no idea algae could pop up that fast!

my question now is how best to control/remove the algae without hurting my plants?

PWCs?

blackout? (how long to kill algae but not plants?)

or just cut the light timer down? (6hrs per day? 4hrs?)

can I use algae destroyer in a planted tank?

thank you for the help!

S

Can you post pics? It will help to know what kind of algae you have to determine the best way to control it and to give some ideas whats causing it.

The best way to control algae in a planted tank is to balance out the nutrient levels. In a balanced environment, plants will use up the nutrients and starve out the algae. Keeping your nitrate, phosphate, carbon, and light levels in check should eliminate most if not all your algae.

I agree with BigJim's advice.

As for what you originally asked, I think all would be appropriate steps to take in the order you listed them (Depending on how bad the bloom is), except for the algaecides. There should never be a need for algaecide.

Good luck!

Big Jim is right on. Balance is key.

You may want to try to plant some more plants that way more of the nutrients will be absorbed and not left floating in the water column.

An easy way would be to place some java moss in your aquarium, java moss is a good absorber of nutrients and it will grow anywhere.

I use live stock for my planted tank (the slower green stuff that forms on things like anubius) shrimp, brissal noise plecko(or any small plecko) flying fox things like that.

Back
Top Bottom