Converting 29 to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon tank in the process of cycling and when it's done, I intended to convert my 29 to a more heavily planted tank. I was planning on getting the lighting up to about 2 wpg and (unless told otherwise) using DIY CO2. Unfortunately, when I first set up the tank, my LFS talked me out of plants, so it currently has a gravel substrate. I would like to avoid changing this if possible--is this just a foolish proposition? I had found a few suggestions for carpet plants using the search feature (primarily various marsilea species). Given the parameters mentioned above, am I correct in understanding that this plant can thrive? Lastly, what sort of fertilizers should be used (and how does this response change if I stick with the gravel)? Can the fertilizer be done using simply the chemicals themselves? That is, could I just order ACS grade compounds and dose that way?
Thanks in advance.

You really dont need CO2 until you get to the 2.5wpg+ level though you should see some difference.. If Im not mistaking most carpeting plants need alot of light.. but according to http://www.tropica.dk/plants.htm Marsilea hirsuta should do well with low light levels.. it also says that its demands are difficult wich would suggest that it needs high light or soft water.. Im stumped on that one..LOL
http://www.gregwatson.com is recommended for fertilizers.. he sells the compounds at very reasonable prices..
As far as the gravel goes you might be able to use root tabs for the plants that need it.. Im not certain.. Id wait for a response from someone else with more information on that subject..
Good Questions by the way!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hate doing this sort of thing, but bump....

I will add however that the 75 seems to be done with its cycle and I will transfering most of the livestock currently in the 29 to it. That being said, I would like to try and get plans in order for the 29. As I said, I would be willing to change the substrate, but unless I am pretty much set for failure otherwise, I would prefer not to. I should also add that while my plan was to go with about 2 wpg, but I had been thinking I would like to try some sort of carpet plant. I understand glosso is out, but I had found mentions of other species that would carpet and work with this more moderate lighting. However, the lights have not yet been purchased either. If this just sounds like a plan for failure, I could plan on going higher in this regard as well. I appreciate any help you can provide.

And thanks greenmagi for the link.

We don't mind bumps as long as you give enough time for a reply, and you did.

marsilea sp. need roughly 2 watts per gallon of lighting to really do well. This puts you in the range where some CO2 injection will benefit the plants, and keep algae at bay.
I've not kept marsilea so I don't know how coarse a gravel it will grow in, but it's always worth trying.

If you decided to change gravel, I'd go with Eco Complete...its easier to add, and maintain, than flourite, and is the same price. Either way, make sure you have at least 2.5" of depth on your substrate so the plants can root properly.

Ferts - I'm not familiar with 'ACS grades'...can you elaborate? I usually send people to gregwatson.com and have them get pure KNO3, K2SO4, KPO4 (high light tanks) and plantex CSM+B. He also sells chelated Iron I think.

Thanks for the reply Malkore.
As for the ACS grade question, that is just a grade of chemical that would be very pure (synonymous with reagent grade if that seems more familiar). In any case, after looking at the Greg Watson link, it seems that I would not be able to beat his prices all that significantly by ordering the chemicals directly from the supplier and besides, he's providing quite a service to the community--I would rather send business his way.
Thanks again.

Keep in mind Greg really isn't trying to run a business...just help fellow hobbiests find the ferts they need. Hence why his prices are so low.

Back
Top Bottom