Converting a fish only tank to planted. Help needed!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon fish only tank and a 15 gallon planted tank.
Unfortunately the 15 gallon has to go As we are short on space. I have some nice plants growing in this tank that I don't want to get rid of.

I would like to combine the two tanks and get rid of the plastic rubbish in the 40 gallon tank. The 40 gallon is running for about 8 months and has a gravel substrate.
I guess my question is do I need to change the substrate in this tank and if so how can I do it without moving the fish and causing as little stress as possible.
The plants I have in the 15 gallon are
Amazon swords
Java fern
Anubis barteri
Some java moss
And these that I don't know the name of
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401308582.333493.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401308619.334533.jpg
I already have some java fern and moss in the 40 gallon tank

The 15 gal has a miracle gro substrate topple with gravel.
Could I pot the swords as put the pot into the 40 gallon or is there a way I can dirty part of the tank

Thanks

Personally I would get everything ready, empty the small tank while protecting the plants in a Tupperware with the tank water to minimize stress.

Then I would move the fish over to the small tank using the water from the big tank, empty the big tank, prepare the big tank, new substrate because you can't use Miracle Grow (except organic) in a fish tank, re-install plants and put the fish back.

Should be able to do it in an afternoon especially if you get the parts ready before you start.

Changing the substrate now is probably a good idea but you can make gravel work.

The plant you cant ID is mondo grass i believe. It is not a true aquatic plant and will rot in time. If the leaves feel waxy to the touch then you know its not aquatic

Second photo looks like ludwigia maybe??

Cheers for the advice everyone. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
I was thinking I might plant up a shallow dish with miracle grow organic and put the root feeders like the swords in this and hide it behind some driftwood. Would the bowl need to have holes or would it be ok without holes.
I was also thinking of planting some in a net of substrate and burying it in the gravel.

Cheers for the advice everyone. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
I was thinking I might plant up a shallow dish with miracle grow organic and put the root feeders like the swords in this and hide it behind some driftwood. Would the bowl need to have holes or would it be ok without holes.
I was also thinking of planting some in a net of substrate and burying it in the gravel.

Ive seen a video on youtube similar to this idea. I havnt got time to dig up the link now but i will

We'll I did it.
I left the gravel in place as there was a good build up of mulm and will be putting root tabs in tomorrow. All the plastic plants are gone. Yay

Before
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401915239.653612.jpg

And after
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401915288.250206.jpg

I think it looks a lot better.
Any suggestions on Improvements more than welcome.

Back
Top Bottom