Converting my 55 Gal. to a Planted Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Here are my specifications:
55 Gal with
Fish: 3 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 4 flame tetras, 4 Julii Cories, 2 black mollies, 1 clown loach so far
Decor: Some pieces of dead coral but mostly rock, 3 fake plans, a conch shell, a fake piece of plastic coral
Substrate: 3 weeks ago changed out the sand for uncoated (i think uncoated) gravel substrate. Guy at LFS said that it was raising my ph so I changed it.
Filtration: One cannister filter with gac and bacteria housing filter media. I also have a hob power filter and a protein skimmer. (I know it is not necessary but i like to use it to airate the water should I choose to fight ich with heat.
Lighting: RIght now I have two 65watt power compact lights from www.customsealife.com. They are actinic reeflights which i heard do nothing for fw plants.

Questions: I am pretty sure i can just purchase different bulbs that will work with my lighting set up but am wondering if changing the bulbs will do the trick. My dilemma stems from me not wanting to invest in a CO2 system, yet I am afraid that if I buy decent lights, I will go over the 2.5 wpg rule and will therefore need CO2. WIll I be able to successfully grow (any?) plants without converting to CO2. I am willing to add/change substrate.

Every once in a while i get a $50 gift certificate to the LFS so I will make the move then when my tank is a little more mature, (and I can get some financial buffering going on). Thanks in advance to All you plant experts that reply. On a side note, what is the deal with kudos, how do you get/give them? THanks all. Oh and how do you quote?

Back
Top Bottom