Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha thanks guys/gals!! I'll keep you posted!! Like I said I'm just getting all the I do I can right now. Hopefully they will have one if those dollar per gallon sales soon.

So... I have to ask. For lighting all I need is a single T5 HO?

Good choice on the fixture.

I literally just looked at the fixture and can't recall if it had individual reflectors.

Anyway. Go with a dual fixture up front. That will give you more flexibility in terms of what plants you want up front.

Lots of info on ThePlantedTank forum as well. My main question for you is what are your plant goals? Is it just to grow? To grow rapidly? To grow plants with color? These will effect your plant choices... that in conjunction with how you want your tank to look. Do you have an idea of whether or not you want a biotope or simply a well planted tank? Fort had some great planted tanks as well.

Lastly fish..... I'm always obsessed with neons. And currently obsessed with Celebes 'dwarf' rainbows. Online pictures do not do them justice. You may be able to wiggle by with three or four. Maybe some cpd or a rasbora species would be cool. Or a betta ;)

Good choice on the fixture.

I literally just looked at the fixture and can't recall if it had individual reflectors.

Anyway. Go with a dual fixture up front. That will give you more flexibility in terms of what plants you want up front.

Lots of info on ThePlantedTank forum as well. My main question for you is what are your plant goals? Is it just to grow? To grow rapidly? To grow plants with color? These will effect your plant choices... that in conjunction with how you want your tank to look. Do you have an idea of whether or not you want a biotope or simply a well planted tank? Fort had some great planted tanks as well.

Lastly fish..... I'm always obsessed with neons. And currently obsessed with Celebes 'dwarf' rainbows. Online pictures do not do them justice. You may be able to wiggle by with three or four. Maybe some cpd or a rasbora species would be cool. Or a betta ;)

UGH! I wrote a HUGE response and the app crashed. Now ok mad lol. In short. I want plants all over expect the center but I want it "off center" if that makes sense? I want plants growing out of the tank, I don't want a lid, I want the driftwood coming out of the tank also.

I'd like green and some red plants. I'd really like to stay away from co2, I like rasboras there nice looking.

I'm guessing you have been looking at different planted tanks on the web? Do you have pictures of any that you're using for inspiration? Also, I'm not a fan of anarchis(sp?). I personally think its hard to aquascape with.

I'm guessing you have been looking at different planted tanks on the web? Do you have pictures of any that you're using for inspiration? Also, I'm not a fan of anarchis(sp?). I personally think its hard to aquascape with.

Yeah been on the web and YouTube. Here's a video I really like, not only the scape but what he says in it. I firmly believe it is an art and in art there is no wrong or right, it's left open to interpretation.

I can watch these videos and listen to him speak all day.

I'd add a piece of driftwood in the particulars scape.

Good luck on the new planted tank. I'm sure you will have an amazing looking tank as always. Curious though as to why you don't want to do the co2 route?

Good luck on the new planted tank. I'm sure you will have an amazing looking tank as always. Curious though as to why you don't want to do the co2 route?

Well it's my first planted and it all seems so complicated. If some could fill me in maybe I would change mind.

I figure I'm new at the planted thing so why complicate things more.

Haha thanks guys/gals!! I'll keep you posted!! Like I said I'm just getting all the I do I can right now. Hopefully they will have one if those dollar per gallon sales soon.

So... I have to ask. For lighting all I need is a single T5 HO?

Here's the deal.

A lot of folks start off by saying, "I don't want to mess with CO2 and macro and micro dosing - I'll just go low tech."

And a lot of people stay extremely low tech. Check out this thread at The Planted Tank forum, called Low Tech Tank Show and Tell.

Drop dead gorgeous tanks.

But then, a lot of people who intended to stay low tech start looking at plants which really only thrive in high tech tanks, and go whole hog that way.

It's a journey. And what a lovely journey it is.

Planted tanks rock.

James Findley sure does make some awesome aquascapes.

I actually think that using Co2 makes things less complicated. We know that plants thrive with light, nutrients, and co2. So by having all of those balanced, you have less problems with algae and your plants are healthy!

There are of course a lot of different co2 options, including organic carbon like excel, but I think you end up spending more money by going that route. Just my two cents...

I think if you invest in a good light that is capable of high light, you could raise it above the tank to make it lower light. Then, if you want to move towards High Tech, you have that option without making another light purchase.

Hello everyone well... The time has come. I wanna do a heavily planted 20L. I know nothing about planted tanks. I don't think I wanna get into CO2 and all that but I would like your help.

Are there links, books etc? I like to do my own research and then after I'll be back to ask questions on lighting, substrate etc.

I'm a little late on this thread but .... IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!:dance: Join the planted side(y) As this thread's already 4 pages long and haven't read every post yet ... I'll leave the advice to what's been said.

James Findley sure does make some awesome aquascapes.

I actually think that using Co2 makes things less complicated. We know that plants thrive with light, nutrients, and co2. So by having all of those balanced, you have less problems with algae and your plants are healthy!

There are of course a lot of different co2 options, including organic carbon like excel, but I think you end up spending more money by going that route. Just my two cents...

I think if you invest in a good light that is capable of high light, you could raise it above the tank to make it lower light. Then, if you want to move towards High Tech, you have that option without making another light purchase.

Did you see the light I linked? Is that a good one?

So... Your saying go CO2?

I don't have a planted tank but I use co2 on my reef. I can't imagine it being too much more complicated if it is even that. Bottom line (at least for a calcium reactor) its really simple (after of course the cost of purchasing) & I bet it would help make things thrive easier and prevent the need to "have to upgrade later" remorse. Just my 2 cents.

I say see what you want first and then go from there.

Plenty of people have stunning tanks without the co2.

I've opted out of co2 as I don't want my plants to grow too fast.... I don't want to trim all of the time.

I say see what you want first and then go from there.

Plenty of people have stunning tanks without the co2.

I've opted out of co2 as I don't want my plants to grow too fast.... I don't want to trim all of the time.

Ok sounds good! Thank you!! So you get my idea of having them come outside the tank with the driftwood coming out also right? This can be achieved without co2

I guess the reason being is... I just wanted to do a small filter and a heater and have it all hidden.

Once that sale comes up ill do the tank, filter, heater and light. Now I just have to figure out which light will be best. I linked one light but not sure it's the best of the best.

Did you see the light I linked? Is that a good one?

I just checked it out. I don't know much about that particular light. I use AquaticLife T5 HO's on my tanks. I probably wouldn't use the Actinic Blue bulb on that lamp. You would probably be better off with a rosette bulb. I clicked the buy now to see what kind of price range you're looking at, but it won't work. What's your budget for lighting? I can do some research on some that fit your range.

So... Your saying go CO2?

I just think you would be happy if you left your options open. Personally, I would go Co2.

My thought is, if you want to go Co2 in the future, you don't want to have to buy a new light and co2 setup at the same time. So if you have a good light to begin with, you would only have to worry about the co2 if you decide to.

Hey thanks for the reply. For the lighting lets just say the budget is "open" I want a really really good light. Am I understanding this right. Light isn't that important IF I go co2 but if no co2 light is very important?

I like this look 1:45 but is want It off center with no plants. I read you can buy shields or something to keep the plants from spreading.

And this one I like cause it have the center open 4:45

But that's kinda the look. Of course with my twists and spins on it ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom