Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, they're both important. You want to have an equal balance between them.

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - FreshWater

Ok I'm understanding more now and thank you being patient with me lol. I can do that fixture no problem. Anything on the higher end? Or not needed?

Here's why I ask. In thinking of all this. I may go rimless so the light fixture has to very appealing to the eye. I've seen some rimless tanks that are beautiful and the light fixtures are just as nice.

Oh the wife LOVES planted tanks so I have her blessing :)

Hey Convict, here is a thread that helped me a lot.

Edit: link isn't working ill update it when I get to my office.

Last edited:
UGH! I wrote a HUGE response and the app crashed. Now ok mad lol. In short. I want plants all over expect the center but I want it "off center" if that makes sense? I want plants growing out of the tank, I don't want a lid, I want the driftwood coming out of the tank also.

I'd like green and some red plants. I'd really like to stay away from co2, I like rasboras there nice looking.

love the concept!!! and it'll look great! Like fish choice too!
def following

You may want to look into the Finnex LED light fixtures too - they are relatively affordable and I've heard nothing but good things. I'm getting a 30in FugeRAY for my 29 gallon (medium light), and the Ray 2 will get you high light, but you'll definitely want CO2 with that.

30" FugeRAY would give you 48 PAR on the 20L and the Ray 2 would give you 74 PAR (it is the 24" board in a longer case). Source: Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data

You may want to look into the Finnex LED light fixtures too - they are relatively affordable and I've heard nothing but good things. I'm getting a 30in FugeRAY for my 29 gallon (medium light), and the Ray 2 will get you high light, but you'll definitely want CO2 with that.

30" FugeRAY would give you 48 PAR on the 20L and the Ray 2 would give you 74 PAR (it is the 24" board in a longer case). Source: Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data

I think I just linked that light above. I like it

I think I just linked that light above. I like it
Yeah, that's the Ray 2! The FugeRAY looks similar, just a different lighting setup that is lower output. Your post hadn't showed up on my page yet when I was typing the reply or else I would've said something...the only thing I have seen is with the 30" Ray 2 you may have light fall off on the sides of the tank since the light board is only 24" long. I'll definitely let you know how I like my FugeRAY when I get it set up next week!

Yeah, that's the Ray 2! The FugeRAY looks similar, just a different lighting setup that is lower output. Your post hadn't showed up on my page yet when I was typing the reply or else I would've said something...the only thing I have seen is with the 30" Ray 2 you may have light fall off on the sides of the tank since the light board is only 24" long. I'll definitely let you know how I like my FugeRAY when I get it set up next week!

Awesome, yes please let me know

I use the Ray II on two of my tanks, soon to be three :) Great fixture! As for the light fall-off on the sides, I wouldn't be too concerned -- I would just plant low light tolerant plants on the sides if that were the case. Or perhaps, use the sides as negative space to your advantage in the aquascape.

Im following along :)

I knew it was just a matter of time before u get a planted tank.

Agreed, I love my Ray 2! I actually had to tone it down a little bit with some window screen cut to fit under the splash guard. You can see pics of how it looks on a rimless tank in my 12 long thread. Oh, and definitely go rimless if you can! You won't regret it! Looking forward to what you decide on, man! :)

Thanks everyone!! Ok so I'm gonna go with that fixture and I'm gonna go rimless.

I was reading a lot about these tanks. I may go with this one. It's bigger then I was then I was thinking but oh well.

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/backer-shows-off-mr-aqua-rimless-aquariums/

Also I want a very small bio load, a few pieces of driftwood, rocks and as mentioned before open space somewhere in the tank that's NOT planted.

I'm getting pumped!!

Back
Top Bottom