Cool lighting options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawngnome

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, my light hood finally gave out on me after 8 years. I would like to have a better setup for a planted tank and realize lighting is probably the biggest part. What are some good options that wont break the bank and look classy on my tank as well as great for supporting plant life in my tank. I'm completely new to planted tanks so please assume I know nothing.:fish2:

Thanks, Josh.

What size tank?

In general the best option right now seems to be HOT5 with individual curved reflectors. However, with plants balance is very important. This means it is not a good idea to just go for a lot of light or lots of ferts, it means everything should be in balance (temp, light, carbon source, ferts, etc.). Do you want to get into CO2? If not you will not want as much light.

What size tank? The ZooMed Sunglow fixtures are great and cheap. I ordered one online holds 2 24 watt t5-ho bulbs for 60 bucks

I have a 29 gallon tank I would like to use. As for co2 I planned on rigging up a home made thing and seeing what happens. Also, it probably wouldn't be good for me to run an air pump with live plants would it or would it not matter?

I would run one at night. Plants do not use CO2 at night, they give it off. Too much CO2 can cause a pH crash which can kill everything. Running an air pump on a timer at night will prevent this.

I would start with a 2-bulb HOT5 fixture.

I ordered the ZooMed Sunglow t5-ho double 24 watt fixture for my 29 gal. It would give you around 2 watts per gallon. Its actually 1.6 or something but with HO i would say 2 wpg.

Marineland LED fixture - Double Bright or Reef Bright. You'll have to run CO2 with the Reef Bright fixtures. You could always DIY an LED fixture.

Back
Top Bottom