Cooled my tank.. Without evaporation!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my tank has been spiking up to 86/88 because of the plant lights.

does this even when heater was turned off and I was losing fish.

I tried taking off the acrylic lid and trust that the lights on legs would be enough of a "cover". didn't help more than 1 degree.

I bought a small vornado and pointed it at the top of the tank.. the water rippled and the temp fell quickly to 79 degrees.. just what I expected from using evap to cool the tank.. and I figured I could live with the constant topping off..

then I noticed that my coralife aqualight was much much cooler under the power of the fan... so much cooler, I thought maybe if I could dissipate the heat BEFORE it hit the water, I wouldnt' have to rely on evaporation.. So I slipped the acrylic cover back on the tank.

the tank is STILL 79 degrees hours later!!!!!

the light and the air between the light and the tank is being cooled.. the tank water itself is not exposed to the fan, and I am getting the effect I wanted.

Now I am so glad I could not find a clip on fan I liked.. a little more air from a little further away and I don't have to rely on evaporation at all... and it all cost $60 for a top of the line small fan that is particularly good at directing air flow... a fan I will use, I"m sure, anytime the kitchen needs to be cleared of cooking smoke ; )

Same here, I think the high temps caused my 2 clown loaches to go south...now I'm better.

I found a small clip on fan to blow on the light since it was fanless.

Funny, I just ordered a 2x55 watt bright kit from AH Supply to put over my 29 gallon and I've been wondering whether or not it's going to effect the water in my tank. So I'm hoping that a stand model external fan will do the trick for me if needed. So glad I saw this post!

Back
Top Bottom