Copper levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjogren1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are tolerable low and high levels of copper for plants and plecos? Since the lake has been treated in the the past two years with larger amounts of copper sulfate, we are not able to keep plants or plecos. Other fish (Angels, Tetras, Gouramis) show no change or stress, but the plants and plecos do not live. No other changes have taken place except the copper. It's a 55 gal. with 2.2 watts/gal. that used to grow Water Sprite like weeds and plecos without problem. :? Thinking about getting a Seachem MultiTest Copper kit.

are you getting your tank water from a lake? are you on a well or something? Just a little confused.

copper is only a trace nutrient for plants. I'm not sure what the upper threshhold is before it becomes toxic.

I would highly recommend getting a copper test in your case. It can be very toxic to certain fish and plants. Knowing the levels would be a good thing.

I agree, you have a somewhat unique situation, that would warrant the need for a copper test. I think SeaChem makes one that should be reliable enough for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom