Cories in a group - Any bad combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Can you mix up which types of Cories and they can be happy, I have two different varieties and they seem fine. Sleep near each other, hang out together they are different ages/ sizes. Two Emeralds and a Gold stripe. I guess since there are so many different types my question is are there any that shouldn't be together? What about Pygmys? :confused:

Autumnsky said:
Can you mix up which types of Cories and they can be happy, I have two different varieties and they seem fine. Sleep near each other, hang out together they are different ages/ sizes. Two Emeralds and a Gold stripe. I guess since there are so many different types my question is are there any that shouldn't be together? What about Pygmys? :confused:

Cories are peaceful to all other fish AFAIK. But dwarf Cories might have a hard time competing for food with larger fish ??

It's better to have a group of ONE type of Cory, than to have several singles. They like their own species the best.

Coursair said:
Cories are peaceful to all other fish AFAIK. But dwarf Cories might have a hard time competing for food with larger fish ??

It's better to have a group of ONE type of Cory, than to have several singles. They like their own species the best.

I agree. It is better to have only one, maybe two, types of cories in a school. Dwarf cory species are shyer than the larger species so IMO they wouldn't do good with the others.

I have one more Goldstripe in with my little guppy fry right now, the other Goldstripe used to be his tank mate, should I put them back together?

They got separated when my DD's fish died and she didn't want the tank, so I took out the Cory but we searched and looked the other one, three times on two different days, couldn't find him and thought he had died and been eaten. Then two weeks later, went to use the tank, and there he was just chillin!

It is sort of hard to catch them, I had a bad experience a couple years ago getting my big guy stuck in the net and had to cut him out, but after a couple of days the piece of net fell off. The Cory and I both, were extremely upset, then happy! I try and use a sandwich bag or cup now.

Is there anything good/special/nice about keeping a bunch of pygmys? I will have two main tanks, 18 and 37, and then the 6.6 Fluval Edge, after I see if I like it enough, I think I will be asking for for Mother's Day from DD.

What size group would be good for each tank. The Edge 6.6, since the pygmys are smaller, I could have a group, and thinking of having that as a future shrimp tank, although watching the fry this week had been so much fun, they get a tails length larger every day!!!

Your Corydoras Question

Hello A...

There are more than 100 different species of Corydoras. All are peaceful for the most part, but I've heard stories of some of the larger varieties getting aggressive around "Livebearer" fry. I have several varieties with my "Livebearers" and never had a problem.

I keep Emeralds, Bronzes, Pandas, Albinos, Peppereds, Orange Saddles, and some others and all get along well. You just need to keep the water extremely clean. I change out half the water in my tanks weekly.

If you're lucky enough to have a neutral pH, then you could possibly see some little ones.

Good luck with your Corys.

B

Hey BBradbury, Northern Colorado, I25 corridor for me, nice to hear from a "local". My ph 7ish give or take the time of year, so probably no babies for me.

Any experience with Pygmys, Mumma said "shy"...

My older Emerald is quite large. The Goldstripes are older fish (adopted) but almost 1/2 the size. Which ones commonly available are "larger"?

Interesting fact: Emerald Cories are not actually a species of corydora. They are in fact a species of brochis catfish, and can get up to 4" in length.

I've also heard that cories will not school correctly or feel as comfortable in heterogeneous groups.

I have the corys in my siggy line in a community tank. Although the peppered and loxozonus interact and school together, the pygmys do not. They will school with juvenile peppered corys but not adults. And yes, they are very shy.

Aqua_Chem-Wow, I never looked into it. Never thought to question it. This could explain why my big guy is, well, big! I have a little one too an inch probably.

So are the Brochis cats like the Cory, that they like groups too? I hope they like twos since that is what I have and 4" is really big. They are a broad shape fish and that could be really BIG! I love my BIG guy and he is beautiful and has loads of personality. Now that he has two friends, and more plants to hang around him he seems more chill. As an only, he was every where getting into everybody's business!!!

Side note, anybody use Garnet sand here? I have a thread posted asking for info/experiences, don't know yet, I found it at the farm supply store for 50 lbs for $49.95, 80 grit size. Maybe mix with some Eco complete or black sand???

The Cories love the loose sand, the only Goldstripe in my Edge 6.6 shimmies right into it. Whereas my Supernaturals sand is too dense really for that.

Corydoras

Hey BBradbury, Northern Colorado, I25 corridor for me, nice to hear from a "local". My ph 7ish give or take the time of year, so probably no babies for me.

Any experience with Pygmys, Mumma said "shy"...

My older Emerald is quite large. The Goldstripes are older fish (adopted) but almost 1/2 the size. Which ones commonly available are "larger"?

Hello again A...

Have never kept Pygmies. Have a Peppered and some Emeralds coming up on 5 years old. My others are all younger. Have heard that 20 isn't out of the ordinary, hard to believe though.

Anyway, am not too far from you. Just 12 or so miles east of 25 on the west side of Greeley.

Good talking with you. Keep in touch.

B

Back
Top Bottom