corkscrew vals are melting away :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I only dosed with excel once and read that excel causes melting. This was about a week ago, I removed my vals and put them in a different tank for the time being and put them back in this original tank a couple of days ago.

Some of my leaves (2) are melting away kind of and have a little bit of brown on some parts of the edges. My roots aren't deep at all in my opinion, I can still see the top of my roots.

It's in really fine sand and I have some corydoras and tiger barbs, I don't think they're nipping at my plants...

Could there still be some excel in my water that's causing this? What should I do? I have java moss and also dwarf baby tears, as well as a marimo moss ball, but those don't seem to be affected at all.

so basically I put in the recommended amount of excel about a week ago...

put carbon in your filter or replace any exsiting carbon with fresh and a week or two after ditch or replace the carbon and you should be good

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I am not sure if there are still excel left from a week ago.

I just got my corkscrew vals but haven't done any excel yet. Some says that putting excel NOT directly on top of the vals will help it not to melt. I don't know if changing the carbon in the filter will help. That will just remove your good bacteria.

Some experts will chime in I am pretty sure.

daileene said:
I am not sure if there are still excel left from a week ago.

I just got my corkscrew vals but haven't done any excel yet. Some says that putting excel NOT directly on top of the vals will help it not to melt. I don't know if changing the carbon in the filter will help. That will just remove your good bacteria.

Some experts will chime in I am pretty sure.

if he changes just the carbon but keep the filter media(assuming your useinga hob with fiiltercartridges) hed be fine most of the bacteria is in the gravel and the actual filter floss like the stuff the filters made out of not the stuff inside of it

What would changing the carbon do? Sorry I'm a noob :D

mjc11 said:
What would changing the carbon do? Sorry I'm a noob :D

its used for remeoving any meds ferts etc in the water but after so long the carbon tends to release those traped meds etc back into the water. i buy my filter cartridges and they allredy have carbon in them so when i do a pwc i leave my filters off for 5 minutes to allow the conditioner to work i also mix it in with my water before i add but you can never be to safe

Oh so do you think the carbon is sucking up the excel and releasing some of it into the tank water?

Thanks for your help! :)

if its old carbon more than likely you may wana change it and when ever you does the stuff agian keep filters off for a few then run them and itl remove any trace of it its suggested you replace carbon every 2-4 weeks i think i cant remmeber but its really only needed to remeove excess meds so if its clean carbon (hasnt been in tankk while any meds etc are dosed) you dont really need to replace but if its dirty carbon your gonna want to replace alot of thw guys and gals here dont even use carbon sorry if i made this confuseing i tend to rant and over complicate things

Oh so if I don't really use any medications in my tank I can just remove the carbon now? My tank is fully cycled by the way :)

I'm using a tetra whisper 10i with the biobags...

mjc11 said:
Oh so if I don't really use any medications in my tank I can just remove the carbon now? My tank is fully cycled by the way :)

I'm using a tetra whisper 10i with the biobags...

yes and im not fimilar with biobags but im assuming it lets you chose the media you want in it? or is it a pre-packaged thing thats sealed and allredy has media in it

So I can open the back and remove the carbon from it, is there any benefit to not having this carbon in there besides the fact that I would have to pay for carbon every time I need to change?

mjc11 said:
So I can open the back and remove the carbon from it, is there any benefit to not having this carbon in there besides the fact that I would have to pay for carbon every time I need to change?

its kinda unnessacary its used to keep odor down and meds out as i mentioned other than that its useless i suggest filling it with cereamic rings or other media that the good bacteria ccan grow on or filling it with a media that will benefit your tank

Okay will do! I'm planning on posting more pics of my tank after it is fully established! :)

Back
Top Bottom