Correct Amount of Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I'm working on plans for setting up planted tank and was trying to figure out what is an appropriate amount of filtration. My tank is 45 gallons and I have an Ehein canister available that is rated for 95 gallon tanks. Is this too much filtration or will this create problems because of the flow rate out of the filter?

Nah. Manufacturers lie about their gallons per hour big time. I have an Eheim 2215 on a 55 gallon which is supposed to be overkill....it is not. I prolly shoulda bought a 2217.

Last edited:
Nah. Manufacturers lie about their gallons per hour big time. I have an Eheim 2215 on a 55 gallon which is supposed to be overkill....it is not. I prolly shoulda bought a 2217.

Wouldn't say lie necessarily, grossly misrepresent is all. My ac 70 may have pushed 300gph brand new out of the box with no media in it.. after a month crammed with media it's more like 200gph. I'd say they're realistically pushing 75% of rated flow?? Op in a 45 that filter should be fine, I'd consider adding a small powerhead or 2 to get flow down low as it's a tall tank right??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't say lie necessarily, grossly misrepresent is all. My ac 70 may have pushed 300gph brand new out of the box with no media in it.. after a month crammed with media it's more like 200gph. I'd say they're realistically pushing 75% of rated flow??

Yeah, you're right. It should be "grossly misrepresent". The word "lie" might bring on a lawsuit. :ROFLMAO:

The high tech planted tanks typically need to be between 8-10 times the advertised gph. If you are doing a lower tech tank you could get away with less. Its more about flow than filtration. I believe the manufacture tank size suggestions are based more on fish loads in the different tank sizes. Like Brookster said you can use powerheads and circulation pumps to create flow. For my high tech 26 gallon i just bought a eheim 2217 that a has a gph of 264. I believe its rated up too a 90 gallon tank. In theory this is way too large of a filter but i shouldnt have to use powerheads or circulation pumps.

TL/DR- its not really filtration its more about flow and can be accomplished in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom