Correct light/substrate/fertilizer balance for my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,
I'm having trouble finding an old post related to my question so I'll start a new post. I am setting up my first ever 10 gal tank with 1.5wpg of 5000K flourescent lighting. For substrate I will be using 2 inches of eco-complete and an inch of tahitian moon sand. I plan on starting out with low light plants to gain confidence before I advance any further. I am wondering if I will need root tabs. I also see many positive things about seachems flourish excel. Will I need to supplement my plants with this set-up, and if so, what do you recommend?
Thanks,
-Brad

Welcome, Orcus332! :mrgreen:

Whether you will need root tabs depends on what plants you have in mind. If you want to grow Cryptocoryne sp., which I highly recommend for this tank, you might want to shove one down near the roots of this heavy root-feeding plant. Otherwise, most other low-light plants will not really require much fertilization at all, other than what your fish will provide. You ought to be able to keep things very simple and low-maintenance.

The Excel is useful in moderate to high-light tanks, over 2wpg, where the plants need an extra carbon source. You won't require that at 1.5wpg.

Other plants to consider are java fern, java moss, Anubias sp., and maybe dwarf lily bulbs (Walmart). I'd stay away from most swords, because though they can probably do okay in your light they will outgrow at 10g.

What sort of fauna do you have in mind?

Thanks for the advice TG. I plan on getting 3 dwarf puffers and 2-4 otos for tank maintenance. I'd also like to put 2 dwarf clawed frogs in the tank, but I've heard a few objections to this since the puffers are so aggressive. I'm willing to give it a shot though.

Having kept dwarf puffers, otocinclus may not fare any better than ADFs, but I was successful keeping them with a rubberlip pleco.

DP's really enjoy plants, as they will stake out areas as their territory, and they will sleep on the plant leaves. They will not bother plants at all, but be sure you know what is involved in keeping them, if you have not done so before. They are great for small tanks, and I just love their little faces. :D

Back
Top Bottom