Correct Lighting or Waste of $$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I upgraded my lighting to a Coralife T5 hO fixture w/ two 10000k bulbs in my 30 gallon freshwater planted tank. Just kinda curious if this was a good move if I want my plants to flourish? I'm noticing my plants have stuff on the leaves and they look horrible. I fertilize once a week and have fertilizer mixed in with the gravel but it just doesn't seem to be doing much for them? Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• image-5871308.jpg
    image-5871308.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image-68715716.jpg
    image-68715716.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image-2380690853.jpg
    image-2380690853.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 219
I'm no expert but I'm in yer same boat....just upgraded lights...and from my research you need co2 with the hight light setup or you get a ton of algae...

I havent seen it yet but I'm expecting it...next upgrade for me is co2 tho heh

How many watts total ?
How long are these lights on per day ? Do you use CO2 ???

You may want to swap one bulb for a 6,500K ??

High Output lighting means you usually have to use CO2 or you'll just grow algae. It is good to have high light IF you also give the plants enough CO2 and Ferts to out compete the Algae.

Yeah I think it's algae because it does rub off. Each of the bulbs are 31 watts each and the fixture holds two. I read about adding co2 but it sounds complicated, expensive, and I don't think I have the room to place a canister inside my tank without losing space.

Wmc2009 said:
My lights are on at least 12 hours a day. So that might be my problem?

Your problem is high output bulbs without using CO2.

Too much light without CO2 = Algae Farm

My very temporary idea is reduce the photoperiod til you decide to add CO2 or swap out lights to NO or other type.

If your fixture allows you may want to only run one bulb ?

I'm sure you'll get more advice on this.

Wmc2009 said:
I upgraded my lighting to a Coralife T5 hO fixture w/ two 10000k bulbs in my 30 gallon freshwater planted tank. Just kinda curious if this was a good move if I want my plants to flourish? I'm noticing my plants have stuff on the leaves and they look horrible. I fertilize once a week and have fertilizer mixed in with the gravel but it just doesn't seem to be doing much for them? Am I doing something wrong?

How long have they been on the tank? Just curious how long it's gonna take mine to get crazy lol

Your plants have two major issues that I can see. One, you've got BBA setting in nicely. Two, your plants are showing macronutrient deficiencies.

The BBA is almost always caused by too much light/not enough CO2. You will have to either increase your CO2 with either a pressurized system or DIY, or the algae will keep coming back. Your deficiencies are caused by the light causing the plants to grow fast and therefore absorb all the available nutrients. To keep growing, the plants cannibalize the nutrients they've already assimilated, causing damage to leaves and generally unhealthy growth. This further leads to different types of algae taking hold.

Less light and/or CO2. One bulb would probably be your best bet, if that type of fixture will allow it. You can keep the 10000K bulb, as the color temperature makes remarkably little difference in PAR.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm gonna try the DIY co2. Can I overdose my tank with too much of it? Will it harm my fish?

Using ho lights doesn't always mean you'd need co2 supplementation, the height and fixture brand plays a large part. I run multiple t5ho on tanks with no co2 or excel.

In this situation it sounds like part of the problem though. Photoperiod should be cut down to 6-8hours also.

Back
Top Bottom