cost of CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how much does it cost you to run co2? what co2 system do you have, brand or DIY?

I thinking about doing co2 but cost is an issue

I have two AquariumPlants.com CarbonDoser II systems. One with a pH controller. They are a bit more expensive than a Milwaukee system but worth it.

What size tank are you dealing with?

I would stay away from the Fluval mini systems as Fluval uses a wonky thread that forces you to continue to purchase their disposable cylinder or DIY a fitting to a standard cylinder.

You could go paintball if the place you have to get your cylinder filled will fill a paintball cylinder or have a paintball shop close to you.

Have never used DIY. Potentially way too messy for me.

Of course, it all depends on how big of a tank you are dealing with.

Been researching myself..... the main cost is the initial outlay. By the time I add up a decent quality regulator, purchase of a 5lb tank, a DIY reactor, and a timer..... probably looking at about $200-$225.

After that, my local welding shop only charges $12 per refill on a 5lb tank.

blert said:
I have two AquariumPlants.com CarbonDoser II systems. One with a pH controller. They are a bit more expensive than a Milwaukee system but worth it.

What size tank are you dealing with?

I would stay away from the Fluval mini systems as Fluval uses a wonky thread that forces you to continue to purchase their disposable cylinder or DIY a fitting to a standard cylinder.

You could go paintball if the place you have to get your cylinder filled will fill a paintball cylinder or have a paintball shop close to you.

Have never used DIY. Potentially way too messy for me.

Of course, it all depends on how big of a tank you are dealing with.

well right now I would want to do it on a 20g extra high... possibly my 60g hexagon tank

eventually going to get a long, shortish tank and do all plants

is there a limit where co2 becomes unhealthy for fish?

can you do paritial co2 just for a little extra boost in growth?

there is a limit to the amount of co2 you can put in the tank because it can suffocate the fish. if the levels get too high, you can get a bubble counter and set it for about 1 bps to be safe.

rreekers said:
well right now I would want to do it on a 20g extra high... possibly my 60g hexagon tank

eventually going to get a long, shortish tank and do all plants

In a 20g you could do DIY to get away on the cheap. The 60g would take either many DIY units working together or a proper regulated system. If you decide to go DIY I'd set it up on your 20g first and see if you want to deal with the hassle of having multiple bottles on the 60g.

A 40b is the prefect size for planting. Big footprint to allow lots of plants and short enough that you don't get wet up to your shoulders when mucking around in it. And, being short, it doesn't take a huge fixture to light it.

Yes, it can kill your fish. The recommend level of CO2 for balance of plant and fish health is 30ppm. You get a drop checker for this. It stays in your tank and is filled with a 4dKH and pH test juice solution. When the fluid is green all is good, too much it turns yellow, not enough it turns blue.

Not sure about minimal CO2 dosing. Aqua_Chem or JetaJockey would know. They helped me out immensely when I was setting mine up.

Optimal CO2 is about 30 ppm. Usually around 50 ppm fish will start acting "off", especially if they aren't used to that high of CO2. At and above 70 ppm fish start having trouble breathing and you'll likely see them gasping at the top of the tank.

As far as minimum CO2 goes, we have to distinguish between small consistent amounts and small inconsistent amounts, and account for light levels. If you're trying to stave off algae brought on by too much light, neither will significantly help you. If you have a bit too much light, inconsistent CO2 levels will give way to more algae, whereas small consistent levels can help you. If you have a balanced amount of light in the tank, additional CO2 can only help you.

As far as cost goes, $150 will set you up with a good system, and you'll spend ~$15 to fill it up, with duration between fill ups dependent on CO2 levels, tank size, etc.

Back
Top Bottom