Could I Grow Plants With these??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Could I grow plants with 2 of these on a 10 gallon tank?? They are 60 Watt equivalent.

ForumRunner_20120827_190755.jpg

I already have them in. So you guys think they will work?

Depends on what you mean by 'work'. Will they put off light? Sure. Will they grow plants? Probably.

The thing you should understand is that it's less than optimal. Those 'screw' type CFLs, while being the most common, give off the highest light in line with the socket ('polar'). The U-tubed type that you often see in 10w size sold at fish stores emit light perpendicular to he bulb ('equatorial'). The former is better suited for brooders or gooseneck lamps, but will work in an aquarium hood just fine.

aqua_chem said:
Depends on what you mean by 'work'. Will they put off light? Sure. Will they grow plants? Probably.

The thing you should understand is that it's less than optimal. Those 'screw' type CFLs, while being the most common, give off the highest light in line with the socket ('polar'). The U-tubed type that you often see in 10w size sold at fish stores emit light perpendicular to he bulb ('equatorial'). The former is better suited for brooders or gooseneck lamps, but will work in an aquarium hood just fine.

Thank you. Ill put in some cheap plants and see how they do.

Go to the hardware store and get lamp domes.

This was my setup before I bought a proper quad t5ho fixture and way before it was heavily planted. They do work well I'm using the 23 watt versions though. I have both domes on my 10 gallon shrimp tank now. They make the java moss pearl quite well.

ForumRunner_20120827_232252.jpg

If your hood is a typical 10g that usually has 2 incandescent bulbs, yes, they will work. However, the reflectors in the hood are for incandescent bulbs, so you may want to make your own reflectors using something reflective. I have the same exact lighting you do on my 10g accept I tin foiled the whole hood. I grow low and medium light plants in mine: java moss, ludwigia arcuata, marimo moss balls, and anacharis.

This was my setup before I bought a proper quad t5ho fixture and way before it was heavily planted. They do work well I'm using the 23 watt versions though. I have both domes on my 10 gallon shrimp tank now. They make the java moss pearl quite well.

I've done that with brooder lamps as well.

cyris69 said:

Also a good option. I used one on my 5g tank for a while. I grew HC well with a 26w CFL in it. These are commonly called brooder lamps. I'd use two 8" wide lamps with 26w CFLs in each placed directly above the tank, if you do go that route.

Back
Top Bottom