Couple of Plant Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all!

So I'm gradually planting my 10 gallon tank and could use some advice. First off, here are the specs:

Tank - 10 gallon (20" x 10" x 12")
Lighting - Finnex Fugeray
Substrate - EcoComplete
Ferts - Flourish (will likely look into dry ferts once my big bottle is gone)
CO2 - None, just normal dousing of Flourish Excel as a carbon supplement
Stock - 1 male betta
Current Plants - crypt tropica, crypt parva, anubias barteri, micro sword (lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae), and a low-light bacopa species (not sure which)

The plants I'm currently looking into getting are likely either dwarf sagittaria or hydrocotyle tripartita. I'm looking at them mainly because I'd like a plant that can grow somewhat quickly and give my tank a jungle sort of look, but I'm rather unfamiliar with either plant so I'm not sure which would be more appropriate. I also understand these are some of the easier low/mid light "carpeting" plants, although I don't necessarily need that specific look. I mostly just want something that will fill in the tank and maybe give it a bit of a grassy look. I'm also very open to any other suggestions regarding anything to do with my tank and also any advice on the specific aquascaping of any of these plants. Thanks a bunch!

Either plant ought to do just fine with your lighting and fert regiment. The hydrocotyle t is a bit more compact, but also a little slower growing than the dwarf sag. The hydrocotyle t can really be trained to stay low to the substrate though with a little intervention.

You could also consider lilaeopsis as a potential compact grower that is grass-like in appearance. I think it would do ok with your lighting in a 10 gal tank.

Either plant ought to do just fine with your lighting and fert regiment. The hydrocotyle t is a bit more compact, but also a little slower growing than the dwarf sag. The hydrocotyle t can really be trained to stay low to the substrate though with a little intervention.

You could also consider lilaeopsis as a potential compact grower that is grass-like in appearance. I think it would do ok with your lighting in a 10 gal tank.

Thanks a bunch, fort! (y)

Any suggestions on how to train the hydrocotyle to stay low? I just planted some and used gravel to sort of weigh it down. Should be sufficient, right?

Edit: On second thought the gravel didn't really work so instead I weighed the hydrocotyle down with a few lead plant weights. Here's a pic:

img_2342121_0_d77a8afe0ac94a96d0803ddcd8be43cd.png

Just want to make sure this is ok for the plant. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom