Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all I saw this Blue crayfish at my local store and fell in love. I am wondering if they would mess with my snails or plants...? Any other reasons to avoid them is also appreciated. Want to get one but not if it will disrupt the active atmosphere.

9-11-2001 Always Remember

they will eat fish
they will tear maybe eat plants
not sure on snails

Yeah I would not recommend keeping them with plants and fish. If you have a big enough tank or pond you can keep them there. My pond is big enough for my koi and crayfish to get along. Only the fastest growing plants will be able to survive the crayfish. They will eat the plants both alive and dead.

Sent with my fingers

Any kept dwarf orange crays? Keep hearing these are pretty safe in a community style planted tank. Yet to take the plunge myself but if you want a cray might be worth researching

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thx I'll look them up.

Years ago i had a blue crayfish in my 20. Back in the day I only had fake plants so cant speak for that issue. My cray was with a redtaik shark, pair of silver dollars, black skirt tetras and a plecostimus or however you spell it. They all did fine. I would feed him shrimp pellets. So cool to watch him eat.

Hey all I saw this Blue crayfish at my local store and fell in love. I am wondering if they would mess with my snails or plants...? Any other reasons to avoid them is also appreciated. Want to get one but not if it will disrupt the active atmosphere.

As was mentioned they will destroy plants. And they most definitely will eat your snails. Mine hunted MTS in the sand. Just dug them out.

Keeping crayfish with fish is only a challenge if you pick the wrong kinds of fish. Goldfish are the wrong kind of fish, as are any bottom dwelling fish and fish that sleep on the bottom. Fast moving, short finned fish that occupy the top half of the tank will do just fine. IME barbs and danios are excellent choices. However, tank size is the ultimate determination. In too small of a tank every fish is in real danger as a much larger percentage of the volume is within their reach. In a larger tank there is more separation. Also, the larger tank greatly helps to prevent them from escaping, which they are prone to do in too small of a tank.

All in all you can have a nice tank with the crayfish and fish, if you make good choices.

That fish cray. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

well was at my LFS and saw the dwarf orange crays. SO TINY.

I picked one up, so Ill let you know how it works out. From reading online it seems max size is about 2"

He seems way to small to damamge anything. hes even smaller than my amano and ghost shrimp right now.
Ill keep an eye and see how big he really get but the LFs said they keep them in the tank and even though they could not be 100% sure they have never gotten that much bigger than the size they were then.

Awesome! Thanks and please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom