crazy algae has taken over tank pics included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 10g puffer tank with black sand and easy low lighting plants that has been taken over by algae. what should i do ???? im assuming that the plants are salvageable anyway.
a334uw.jpg

14wael0.jpg

It looks like BGA. Like a slimy coating/web over everything? I think it's due to low water flow and not enough nitrates. You should be able to vac a lot of it off of things.

Grows rapidly in blue-green, slimy sheets. Spreads rapidly over almost everything and usually indicates poor water quality. However, blue-green algae can fix nitrogen and may be seen in aquariums with extremely low nitrates. Sometimes seen in small quantities between the substrate and aquarium sides. Will smother and kill plants. This is actually cyanobacteria. It can be physically removed, but this is not a viable long term solution as the aquarium conditions are still favorable for it and it will return quickly. Treatment with 200 mg of erythromycin phosphate per 10 gallons of water will usually eliminate blue-green algae but some experts feel it may also have adverse effects on the biological filter bed. If erythromycin is used for treatment, ammonia and nitrite levels should be carefully monitored.
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#bluegreen

Def blue green algae which actually is a gram negative bacteria. It can be fixed with inexpensive antibiotics that will not effect the fish or plants that a local vet can prescribe over the phone. The problem with vacuuming it is it will breakup and spread this way and then set back in with a fierceness. If you let it grow for a full cycle(3weeks) it can be peeled off in one sheet, but you have to let it go that long.

Back
Top Bottom