Crazy idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diego21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

I have a DIY wet/dry filter with an overflow and I was thinking about trying to put some plants in my bio tray, what do you think? I was thinking that it might help with the bio load. One problem I might have is that my filter is inside my stand which makes access to light very hard. Any suggestions for a very very low light plant?

Ok that makes sense, any ideas for a type of hardy plant? Are plants a good addition to my filter? Will they help at all?

Java moss?

Moss would be a good choice since it's dense, no substrate needed, no huge lighting demands. Grows quite fast under good conditions.

Refugiums are going to be your best bet for live filtration. Some use modified over the back filters that are converted. Or a stump tank refugium.

Will the plants take away the O2 from the water before it gets back to the tank?

Plants utilize oxygen at night co2 during the day. I doubt it will affect the tank any different than if it was just planted vs being in a filter.

Back
Top Bottom