Crazyred's newly planted 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, thanks to Newfound, mr. funktastic, and a small order from Arizona Gardens that cost me a small fortune to ship ( :evil: ) I have some nice plants in my 55 that I would like to share. Plant list is:

Corkscrew Val
Jungle Val
3 Amazon Swords
Red Rubin Sword
Bacopa carloinia (I think)
Cabomba
Narrow-leaf Ludwigia
E. tennellus
Sunset hygro
Wisteria
behind the DW is some red fox-tail (waiting for it to grow in)
another type of hygro in the middle.
floating wisteria

Any gentle comments welcome!!!

Attachments

• full_tank_shot_55_582.jpg
    full_tank_shot_55_582.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 22
  • another_full_tank_shot_704.jpg
    another_full_tank_shot_704.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
WOW it looks great!! i am glad my lants helped. watch out for that hygro though lol stuff goes nuts. lookin foreward to updates.

Thanks!!! Yeah, I'm going to have to be trimming that stuff often. I just imagine I'll be on the barter/trade section unloading plants sooner rather tha later :D

Do you recognize your plants?

i recognise the massive clump on the right of my hygro lol. and i can see my little clump of jave moss inbetwen the wood but not much else. when taking pics of your tank take them at night will all lights off except your tank lights. no flash. use something to steady your hand or rest the camera on something and turn your filter down as much as possible. this will give you your best results for taking the picture. and i always use the auto setting on the camera since it picks up everythign really well. how many mp is the camera? what kind? maybe i can help u with your particular camera.

Thanks!!! I've been getting a lot of compliments on it! It's actually 2 seperate pieces that 'almost' fit together perfectly! I put a piece of java moss that mr. funktastic sent in between the gap.....hoping it will grow over and make them look like one solid piece....at least more than they do now.

The DW cost me 40 bucks total....20 bucks a piece. High dollar stuff. :S

oh that stuff will grow. i put my 20 gallon back down to 1 wpg casue of an algea problem i am having(forgot to replace my co2 mix!!!!!! erg!!!!) and the stuff is still growing like the light never changed. u will notice the ends of the moss getting little green tips then u know it is growing. u wont even really realise it actually. take a pic of it now then again in 2 weeks and look at the difference it is crazy. i hope all goes good for u!!!! i cant wait for some of those clippings i just dont have enough of that sunset hygro :wink:

Will be fun to watch it grow out around the great driftwood.

Very nice, is that going to be just the platys for now?

Yah, a month from now and there will be clippings on barter/trade from you

Just like you said...one more shot at A Z :)

LOL....I really like AZ....I just wish they would have saved me some $$$$ by not using overnite for plants. The plant they sent were great though, and I really like them.

It's just the platies for now. I'm going to add angels, rams and a school of tetras eventually.....when money permits.

Ya'll check for my clippings on Barter/Trade in a couple of weeks!!! LOL

Why, thank you! I didn't post it in your low light tank thread because this is my "high light" tank. It has a PC light fixture on top and that gives way more than the standard 2 wpg. I also have DIY CO2 set-up on this one and will probably switch to pressurized soon. Most of the plants in this tank probably wouldn't do too well in a low light tank.

The inspiration is the design / layout, so thank you again. I'm not ready for higher light plants - I'm working on the KISS theory right now ROFL

TwoHobbies said:
Sorry, I think I just lost track of the other thread, but how did the cycle go?

This is the new tank ......Right

That's okay...I started a new thread since I think I lost the last thread too. :lol: Yes, this is the new tank....the cycle was very short and quick. I added tons of filter material and a handful of gravel from my 29 (never had a mini-cycle on the 29 either). I never saw any ammonia (except what was in the tank, for some reason, before I added the seed material and fish :? ) I did get some nitrites, but nothing serious....maxed out at around 2 ppm....and the platies did fine. I held stedy and held off on water changes since they were not showing stress. The nitrites stayed at around 2 for several days and they fell off. My 55 s now fully cycled, and I've only had those fish in there for only a bout 2 weeks before the tank fully cycled....I'd say that's pretty darn quick! It took me MONTHS to cycle my 29 when I set it up. Seed material makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, that's what I think too, but I can't spell woth a flip....thanks for the compliments and encouragement you guys!! Other forums are just not as kind. :( That's why I like it here.

Whoa nelly, that is one nice looking tank. Congratulations on your achievement. That is the correct spelling for bacopa btw, I usually get the i's mixed up as well.

Yes, well, I have to say "caroliniana" to myself slowly as I type it :)

I couldn't pick the bacopa out in the pic, but with good CO2 the leaves will become nice and wide, with a slight twist. It will grow like crazy too!

If you look at the right side tank shot...the bacopa is peeking out just behind the DW at the point where that piece goes verticle. Yes, admittedly, it is short right now, but it's already growing.....it's also pretty close to the CO2 bubbler so it should start taking off.

Thanks for all the compliments! As I looked at the pic again some of the plants are on the background on the back of the tank.....I guess the flash highlighted them. When you look at the first full tank shot....pic taken without the flash...that's the real look of the tank. The background looks very dark blue/black and you cannot see the "plants" on it. hehehe

Back
Top Bottom