Crypt Wendtii "Florida Sunset"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever tried this plant before? Did the plant retain its orange and red leaf coloration after adjusting to your aquarium's conditions? A pot of it is $10 on Peabody's and I've read online that people have had it look like Crypt Wendtii "Bronze" after a couple months of growth, which is what I wouldn't want to happen since I already have Crypt Wendtii "Bronze".

I've had mixed reviews on it. There were some claims that it will brighten up under high tech setup, but I'm not sure. We only keep it in emersed form and haven't tried to sink it for any extended period of time.

I've had mixed reviews on it. There were some claims that it will brighten up under high tech setup, but I'm not sure. We only keep it in emersed form and haven't tried to sink it for any extended period of time.

I know that this plant came out into the market a couple years ago, so there isn't much about it on plant websites and what not. It looks cool though

I think you're right. When I first started buying plants $10 before shipping was nothing but after I killed a few and a few more I started getting more careful. Now it has to be something I really want, something I've researched and I something that has a fair chance of survival in my conditions before I pay that much.

At the same time I will still risk a few extra bucks over a maybe.

It's definitely a cool strain variant and it's somewhat popular but I think the higher pricetag keeps a lot of people away.

I would purchase it if I would know for sure that it will keep its cool colors. I might take a chance on it, but I know for sure that I'll be ordering some Crypt Wendtii "red" from Peabody's in the future. I'll have to get it when it's in stock though. I've also thought about getting plain Green Wendtii or Crypt Lutea.

High light and bi-weekly root tabs will get it to color up. Once I started doing that, the color perked right up.

I would say that I have good medium lighting. I have T5 HO lighting with 1 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate bulb and 1 36" 39W 6,000°K bulb. I use dry ferts and dose liquid CO2 daily.

Crypts are heavy root feeders which is why most of us use root tabs with them along with other ferts.

Great! I'll give this plant a try. My substrate is pretty rich is nutrients, so I don't know if I'll need root tabs or not. I was planning on getting some iron-up tabs to put in the substrate. I use Eco Complete with fluorite sand for the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom