Crypts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aces11 said:
So Osmocote is completely aquarium safe? How much does it cost?

No idea on the cost, but pretty cheap. Osmocote Plus is what you want.

If any Fert balls do surface, just bury them. The worst thing that could happen would be an algae bloom if you released a ton of ferts all at once.

I just use tongs or tweezers and push the O+ as deep as I can.

Coursair said:
No idea on the cost, but pretty cheap. Osmocote Plus is what you want.

If any Fert balls do surface, just bury them. The worst thing that could happen would be an algae bloom if you released a ton of ferts all at once.

I just use tongs or tweezers and push the O+ as deep as I can.

Ok. Thanks for the algae warning. Do you use tongs or tweezers for the fert-cicles too?

Sorry but I have a few more questions.. Is Osmocote Plus a liquid or little fertilizer bead things? And will it effect my water parameters at all, like raise ammonia or nitrate?

Since were talking about crypts I have a question I bought 2 that were labeled Wendti Green. I planted them and put root tabs under them and they changed color. Question is, Is this normal or some sort of dificiency. Here's a pic. Thanks!

Attachments

• fish 075.jpg
    fish 075.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 45
Aces11 said:
Sorry but I have a few more questions.. Is Osmocote Plus a liquid or little fertilizer bead things? And will it effect my water parameters at all, like raise ammonia or nitrate?

Beads.

No.

I have Shrimp, if it messed up the tank it would kill the Shrimp and Fish. It just helps me grow my Jungle.

misterc007 said:
Since were talking about crypts I have a question I bought 2 that were labeled Wendti Green. I planted them and put root tabs under them and they changed color. Question is, Is this normal or some sort of dificiency. Here's a pic. Thanks!

They look normal to me :/

Lighting and nutrients will affect color. My wendtii has heavily bullated ( love that word) leaves. That's how we know I had the variety "Mi Oya".

Green , bronze and red wendtii often look similar AFAIK.

Try C lucens for a lovely shade of green ;)

misterc007 said:

Yes they look very healthy to me. Crypts can be both brown and green.

Coursair said:
Beads.

No.

I have Shrimp, if it messed up the tank it would kill the Shrimp and Fish. It just helps me grow my Jungle.

Thank you. Your tank looks gorgeous! My dad is gonna try to get me some Osmocote Plus so hopefully I will have a jungle soon as well :)

Aces11 said:
And will it effect my water parameters at all, like raise ammonia or nitrate?

It could give you an ammonia spike if you crushed it, but nobody does that and I've only ever heard of that happening to one person. Overall it's safe to use. When setting up a dry tank some people even sprinkle it right on the glass before adding sand and get a great boost from it. It's the most widely used DIY fert for enriching your gravel or sand at the moment. I'm more of a flourish root tab fan but osmocote is way cheaper and does the same job. It CAN rise to the top of your sand over time, though. If that happens just take out what you can. As with anything meant to feed the roots of your plants it'll have to be under your sand. But hey, it's cheap, so if you ever have to throw a little out it's no real loss.

CorallineAlgae said:
It could give you an ammonia spike if you crushed it, but nobody does that and I've only ever heard of that happening to one person. Overall it's safe to use. When setting up a dry tank some people even sprinkle it right on the glass before adding sand and get a great boost from it. It's the most widely used DIY fert for enriching your gravel or sand at the moment. I'm more of a flourish root tab fan but osmocote is way cheaper and does the same job. It CAN rise to the top of your sand over time, though. If that happens just take out what you can. As with anything meant to feed the roots of your plants it'll have to be under your sand. But hey, it's cheap, so if you ever have to throw a little out it's no real loss.

I have gravel, not sand. Either way, thank you so much for the info. It is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom