Crypts in alkaline water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure I don't see why not. My pH is somewhere around 8 and I'm keeping crypts no problem.

Crypts are suuuuuper resilient. They may melt when you first put them in there but that's pretty standard. They'll recover fine.

bud29 said:
Great! And what do you mean by "melt?"

The leaves that they currently have will...well...die and melt off. I've had this happen to me more times than I can count, and the only true fatality I had was one Crypt Crispatula.

bud29 said:
OK! Thanks for the heads up. I would have freaked out if I put them in and they did that without me knowing what was going on.

Haha yeah. Crypts, although super hardy, do that. I freaked out when I saw it too. Imagine paying $10 for a Crypt Wendtii "Florida Sunrise" and seeing it die as soon as its planted -_-

Just to let you know, this will generally happen anytime they are moved or there is a water parameter fluctuation. Rest assure that they will survive haha.

bud29 said:
Do low light plants need fertilization such as seachem flourish? I am using a substrate of playsand.

They would enjoy it. I keep my plants, including Crypts, in Flourite, have DIY CO2, and dose with lots of ferts such as Flourish.

That being said, if you can't afford it, they will be fine. They just won't grow quite as quickly.

I don't think I will do the co2, but I am interested in the fertilizers. Do you use seachem flourish in conjunction with other ferts or can it be used alone?

bud29 said:
I don't think I will do the co2, but I am interested in the fertilizers. Do you use seachem flourish in conjunction with other ferts or can it be used alone?

It can most definitely be used alone. I use it in conjunction with Excel and some of the Iron. Although Rivercats has turned me on to a new (to me) fertilizer system from Green Leaf Aquarium.

If I were you, I'd look into Flourish and other brands like it. It really will be enough for your Crypts.

If you are using sand as your substrate you are going to need to use some fertilizers for the roots. Sand is inert (meaning it has little to no nutrients in it). You should get some root tabs, or if you can't spend that much ( They are a little costly) then you can make some DIY ones. Just get some osmocote plus and an ice cube tray, and fill them half with osmocote and half water. When they are frozen just put them in your sand by the roots.

Hope this helps

Oh, I forgot to mention that play sand compacts and can trap bad gasses inside of it. So whenever you do a water change jus run your finger through all the sand so it releases the gas and doesn't. Keep it grapes in the sand.

I have crypts and havent had them melt i moved em a bunch to but normally before i move them i let them float for a day or two

Back
Top Bottom