CSM+B+Fe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoovercat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know a dosing formula for this stuff? I've been mostly guessing since all the calculators use CSM+B. Unfortunately, they give solutions to dose for .1ppm of Fe and the added chelated iron is bound to skew this level. Everything seems fine as far as plant growth goes but I'm afraid of the consequences of overdosing Fe. Is there a certain type of algae it'll feed? Will it hurt my livestock? Inverts?

Plantex CSM+B is 6.53% Fe. CSM+B with extra Fe from Greg is 10% Fe. Using a formula and dose that gives .1ppm Fe with CSM+B will give .153ppm Fe with CSM+B+Extra Fe. This isn't very high and is a good target to start.

If you want to solve for your own mixes, just remember ppm is mg/L and cancel units. I find its easier to start with the mix first to get concentration. I made the variables italics in case its easier, as its easier to understand with units.

mg Plantex plus extra Fe * (.10mg Fe/mg Plantex plus extra Fe)/mL water = mg Fe/mL trace mix

Then move on to the target in your tank:

(target ppm * tank gal * 3.77L/gal)/(mg Fe/mL trace mix) = mL dose to reach target ppm

So lets say you use 10g (10000mg) of Plantex CSM+B in 250mL: each mL of your solution has 4mg Fe. Say you have a target of .2ppm Fe in a 30gal tank: you would need 5.7mL of your mix. Say you want to add 5mL of your mix into a 30gal: you're dosing .176ppm Fe.

In terms of fish and inverts, too high Fe is said to cause death. A ceiling of .2ppm is considered safe.

In Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, Diana Walstad suggests limiting Fe will limit algae, and some attribute thread algae to high Fe. Tom Barr has dosed very high Fe and has not induced algae, but also thinks high Fe is no more beneficial than high traces. Lots of hobbyists dose Fe chelate alone to get better color from their plants and dont induce algae. You'll need to experiment to see for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom