Current Stock List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Before you say I am over stocked please consider that I have a Fluval fx5 on a 55 gallon aquarium with 4 pounds of biological media, 1 pound of carbon and 6 filter sponges. This is cycled at around 400GPH and built for up to a 400 gallon aquarium. This filter causes a turbulent surface.

Before you say I am over stocked please consider I have over 100 individual stemmed plants. These plants produce oxygen during the day. During the night the plants produce CO2 at which time I supplement room air from a whisper 60.

Current fish stock list-
1 male and 1 female Pearl Gourami
5 male, 3 variations of Swordtail Molly
2 male German Blue Ram Cichlids
2 male Madagascar Rainbows
2 male 1 female Turquoise Rainbows
1 male 2 female Boesemani Rainbows
1 male 1 female Australian Rainbows
2 male 1 female Emperor Tetras
4 male 2 female Silver tip Tetras
3 male Neon Tetras
1 male Betta
10 male 4 female marble Cory Catfish
8 Unknown sex Otocinclus catfish
Total Functioning Stock Number 54 Fish
No aggression

Did you have a question? Or just opinions about your stock list?
These questions belong in the general discussion subforum.

As for stocking, I think your over stocked. 54 fish in a 55 gallon unless small tetras is a lot of stock, the filter size doesn't change that. What are your nitrates after a week?

Hey

Did you have a question? Or just opinions about your stock list?
These questions belong in the general discussion subforum.

As for stocking, I think your over stocked. 54 fish in a 55 gallon unless small tetras is a lot of stock, the filter size doesn't change that. What are your nitrates after a week?
I know it is a lot of fish I am trying to balance that out. Nitrates and all stats are always perfect because I have a very good maintenance routine. I guess I just wanted to list my stock and show the aquarium again.

I know it is a lot of fish I am trying to balance that out. Nitrates and all stats are always perfect because I have a very good maintenance routine. I guess I just wanted to list my stock and show the aquarium again.

The tank does look good, still over stocked to me but it doesn't seem crowded in there so that's good. Just curious, what exactly are your nitrates? What is your maintenance routine?

I don't test my water with 20 years experience you learn to tell the tanks behavior. I do not recommend this however it takes a lot of time to learn how to do. I also know that my tank only gets high nitrates when the filter intake gets debris on it. About the 4th month after a filter change it starts to rise. That's when I test it at a lab in my lfs. I just changed the filter last week or so.
here is my regular upkeep updated from last weeks..
I upped my water changes from 40% to 50%
Filter changes every 6 months.
Water changes of 50% weekly and algae clean up with a hard sponge.
Liquid Ferts 1 time a month.
Plant trimming once every two weeks.
Lights on and off with day light.
Food flakes 2 times a day with the addition of blood worms and algae wafers twice a week on different days.

A bit about me

I am a Autistic savant of scientific categorization and biologic studies going to school for Environmental Biology at a University. After graduating with a B.S. I will continue to study in grad school and in a PhD program. In such programs I will be studying aquatic biology and botany. Upon graduating I will be opening a aquascape gallery with my name on it. My only goal in life is to design premium aquariums and make my name next to Amano. I am following my dream, I still have a lot to learn.

Personally, savant syndrome and autism are serious mental disabilities and its offensive and inappropriate to use the term so loosely. But that's beside the point. How often do you do your 50% water changes and what do the nitrates test at the LFS when you get them done? Its just a simple question out of curiosity, I wasn't going to use the information to judge and I certainly didn't aim to question your qualifications to own an aquarium and life plans.

:)

Personally, savant syndrome and autism are serious mental disabilities and its offensive and inappropriate to use the term so loosely. But that's beside the point. How often do you do your 50% water changes and what do the nitrates test at the LFS when you get them done? Its just a simple question out of curiosity, I wasn't going to use the information to judge and I certainly didn't aim to question your qualifications to own an aquarium and life plans.

I know they are serious mental disabilities I have dealt with them in my person. I didn't mean to answer so intensely sometimes I just do that. 50% water changes 1 time a week on Sunday. Usually the nitrates are beginning to get a little higher at month 4. I change the filter when they get a little higher and everything is fine. I don't know numbers sorry.

Back
Top Bottom