Custom Seallife Smart Lamp 24'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a Custom Seallife Smartlamp(24') Comes with a 65watt 50/50 10,000k Lamp, Ultra Actinic. I was wondering are these pretty food lamps. I want to grow light/moderate light plants. My tank specs are in my sig, thanks for the help.

That's a good light, but you'll want to get a different bulb. Anything from 5500k to 10000k should work. You really don't need the actinic in a planted tank as it is for saltwater inverts. I don't know if it would hurt the plants, but I'm thinking they would benefit more from a "daylight" bulb. Corvuscorax can tell you more about this I'm sure as he is very much into planted tanks.
Logan J

Actinic will grow plants, it's just that many people (including myself) think it makes plants look funny, too pink/purple, kinda unnatural. Other folks like them! All amatter of personal chioce.
I replace the bulb when it burns out,

Actually, the "quality" of the light will decline drastically long before the bulb actually burns out. replace bulbs every 6-10 months whether they burned out or not. at least once a year.

Also, you have over 3 watts per gallon, you can grow whatever kind of plants you want, just be careful of size, a fair amoutn will get too big for a 20 gallon.

<laughs> First I can't get them to grow, now they could grow to big. I'll end up with a plant tank.. Actinic was one of the reason I like the lamp.. Since it produces a LOT of blue light. If I understand correctly the plants like blue and red light, neither lamp produces a lot of red, but it looked like enough to grow medium light plants. Funny thing all the lamp I looked at have a ton of green light.

Back
Top Bottom