Cyanobacteria? I hope not! (Help identify)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HookedOnFishh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok ok I am pretty new to this planted tank part of the hobby. But I swear this is BGA can you guys help me identify this.
Image1484614628.931617.jpg
Tons of tiny spots on pennywort
Image1484614699.550036.jpg
Still looks like it
Image1484614760.384103.jpg
There's some more I hope it's just the anxiety in me thinking something is bad

Its just a type of algae, its not harmful though, just annoying.

Cut yer lighting time down and it will go away after a month or so

Its just a type of algae, its not harmful though, just annoying.

Cut yer lighting time down and it will go away after a month or so

You can also increase phosphate dosage aswell. Cleared mine up within a week

Haha funny you say that I had BBA and eliminated it and phosphates create BBA. My stock is small and is a new tank. I read in some forums that newer tanks get it and it goes away then in a month or so.

Haha funny you say that I had BBA and eliminated it and phosphates create BBA. My stock is small and is a new tank. I read in some forums that newer tanks get it and it goes away then in a month or so.

Phosphates have no bad effects on your tank at all. I can promise you that. There is a heap of info at the ukaps forum with scientific research to prove it. Don't be afraid of it ;)

Ok, I'll just there website out. And dose phosphates. I just the Black Beard Algae doesn't come back

Ok, I'll just there website out. And dose phosphates. I just the Black Beard Algae doesn't come back

From what I've read BBA is caused mostly by fluctuation of co2 and also an imbalance of nutrients. People also believe it can be caused by a build up of organics.

Upping the phosphates by abit (no need to go crazy) shouldn't hurt anything. Just double the dosage to start with and keep an eye on it :)

I think they all go hand in hand. For example. Unstable co2 or more likely non limiting to limiting co2 causes the plants to make adjustments to newer leaves that match the new levels of co2 on the environment. Even going from low co2 to high co2 this is evident. I've just witnessed this with my dwarf sag.

The first few new leaves were not perfect but they gradually got better and better. When I plant adjusts it tends to discard the older growth and BBA or GSA tend to infest the leaf. Perhaps the chemicals or organics released by the leaf trigger the algae. The excess nutrients then stoke the fire.

In my experience you have to remove the BBA quickly then focus on plant health. It can be beaten but it just takes time.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the cyano-bactery? I have it since 10 years now and already tryed methylen-blue, it seems to be Inside the intestins of the fish..., Please HELP!

Does anyone know how to get rid of the cyano-bactery? I have it since 10 years now and already tryed methylen-blue, it seems to be Inside the intestins of the fish..., Please HELP!

Water changes and increased water flow around the tank helped to get rid of mine.

Yep, thats what i find on Google but its a hardcore variant i think, i emptyed the tank several times now, and it always comes back, it must be inside the two fishes i put in it, everything else is new each time. And i just started a big 80g tank and there no problem.
I'm gonna try the drug Erytromycine, hope it does the job..

Yep, thats what i find on Google but its a hardcore variant i think, i emptyed the tank several times now, and it always comes back, it must be inside the two fishes i put in it, everything else is new each time. And i just started a big 80g tank and there no problem.
I'm gonna try the drug Erytromycine, hope it does the job..

That should do it. Can't get that where I live.

Back
Top Bottom