cyanobacteria outbreaks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok.. I picked some up. .should I unplug my filters while medicating or is it safe to run it through my filters?

It's safe to run it with filters on. Follow the directions on the box just like you were dosing for a disease.

Cool...I medicated a couple hours ago..but no sign of any die back as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cool...I medicated a couple hours ago..but no sign of any die back as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I did not notice anything until the 1st or 2nd day.
Even after the 4th or 5th day of dosing with EM it will continue to kill off the cyano.
I found that using a siphon hose is a convenient means of physically removing it. Cyano tends to "slide" off pretty easily.

Yes I removed the majority of it by hand. Just a few patches that are hard to get to left. I will do another dose tomorrow and see if it starts to fade.

Since you have a large amount of cyano be sure to watch ammonia levels in the tank. Cyano doesn't harm BB but it the dying Cyano can cause ammonia spikes.

Try not to do any WC's during treatment as you want the med's to stay in the water at full strength. Also be sure you aren't running any carbon or other chemical filtration during treatment.

Im more comfortable with a lower concentration of meds then I am a high concentration of ammonia..and no I dont use any carbon in my tanks unless im trying to remove meds.
Thank you for the advice tho.

Im more comfortable with a lower concentration of meds then I am a high concentration of ammonia..and no I dont use any carbon in my tanks unless im trying to remove meds.
Thank you for the advice tho.

You can test your ammonia daily and as long as it stays below .25ppm you don't have to worry. You need the med's at full strength in order for them to work properly. You can always dose your tank with Prime daily if your worried about small amounts of ammonia.

The main reason I did was to siphon up the dead matter that had come loose, so taking water with it was inevitable but I understand what you are saying. And I dont use prime or else I would have put some in if I had a bottle kicking around.

Back
Top Bottom