Cycling a freshwater already planted 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm buying a tank off someone that already has plants growing in it (sand substrate) because it's current holding fish.

How long would the plants last without water?
(the drive would be 2 hours est.

And the big question, what does effect would the plants have on cycling the tank.. :/ I think there's around 11 plants.

You could carry your plants in a small bucket with water or wrap them in wet newspaper just don't let them get to hot. Some people say they help cycle I'm not sure.

The fact is that plants take ammonia in directly and your tank will never actually cycle. The issue is if you have enough plants to take the biological load you will be fine. But, the good bacteria colony will be smaller than in a non-planted tank. Which method is better? I have tried both while adding pure ammonia and into a non-planted and planted tanks. In a non-planted tank you will follow the regular cycle process. In a planted tank, I observed the ammonia was rapidly consume but after a few days nitrites started showing up. That is, I had some ammonia-nitrite bacteria but none of the nitrite-nitrate yet.
So what is the "right" way to cycle an aquarium? There is no such a thing as a right way to cycle. But, the method depends how you are planing on doing it. Are you doing a fishless cycle? What type of light are you using? What plants do you have?

The fact is that plants take ammonia in directly and your tank will never actually cycle. The issue is if you have enough plants to take the biological load you will be fine. But, the good bacteria colony will be smaller than in a non-planted tank. Which method is better? I have tried both while adding pure ammonia and into a non-planted and planted tanks. In a non-planted tank you will follow the regular cycle process. In a planted tank, I observed the ammonia was rapidly consume but after a few days nitrites started showing up. That is, I had some ammonia-nitrite bacteria but none of the nitrite-nitrate yet.
So what is the "right" way to cycle an aquarium? There is no such a thing as a right way to cycle. But, the method depends how you are planing on doing it. Are you doing a fishless cycle? What type of light are you using? What plants do you have?

I plan on doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, lights are flourescent and I only know the name of one of the types in there, anubias.
Theres 11 tall plants and some anubias growing in the sand.

You could carry your plants in a small bucket with water or wrap them in wet newspaper just don't let them get to hot. Some people say they help cycle I'm not sure.

Thank you, If I end up having to take them out this will help!

I am guessing they are low light plants( what is the total wattage?) You can do the cycle with plants but keep an eye on nitrites. If you see nitrites, it signifies that beneficial bacteria is being produced (good). Once nitrites become zero, the cycling process is complete. Just be wise on the timing when adding fish. I hope this helps.

I am guessing they are low light plants( what is the total wattage?) You can do the cycle with plants but keep an eye on nitrites. If you see nitrites, it signifies that beneficial bacteria is being produced (good). Once nitrites become zero, the cycling process is complete. Just be wise on the timing when adding fish. I hope this helps.

The light is 200 watts.

Thanks, hopefully all goes well!! :)

200? How many tubes? Are these t8s,t5HO or T5NO? That is a lot of light. You may run into algae problems.

200? How many tubes? Are these t8s,t5HO or T5NO? That is a lot of light. You may run into algae problems.

I haven't picked the tank up yet so I couldn't tell you but would some Corydoras help with the algae?

Ok. Let us know about the wattage once you get the tank. No, cories don't eat algae.

If the tank has been up and running for a while already you might have a little mini cycle but it should be cycled already if it already has good size plants in it. Just make sure you keep the filter media wet in tank water.

If the tank has been up and running for a while already you might have a little mini cycle but it should be cycled already if it already has good size plants in it. Just make sure you keep the filter media wet in tank water.

So if I asked the person to put the filter in a little tank water in like a bowl or something I wouldnt have to cycle it?

Back
Top Bottom