cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 with two 6 inch oscars and two 4-5 inch algea-eaters.I am running 2 emperor 400's.My tank is not cycled yet.My ammonia levels are high and I get 0 nitrite reading.0 nitrate also.I filled my media holders with ammo-chips because of the high ammonia levels.Here is my question...Should I take out the ammo-chips untill my tank is cycled?Should I also take out the emperor media pad?And replace them with a pad that does not contain carbon?I also do daily 20% PWC.

I think 40-50% changes daily as they are messy oscars. Get some hornwort or some other easy ammonia, nitrate absorber

You don't need the Ammo Chips. From what I've read, they can actually stall the cycle. Instead, do daily 25% water changes. I would recommend doing a 50% water change initially to get down the ammonia level and then do daily 25% changes. High Ammonia levels will harm your fish and will stall your cycle. Two oscars is alot to put in an un-cycled tank. They are messy fish so you may need to do slightly more than 25% changes a day. It just depends on what your water readings are. At this point, don't use any chemicals that reduce or bind ammonia. Water changes will achieve the same results in a healthy mannor and will be easier on your fish. What is your current water changing schedule? How are you testing your water (strips or liquid test kit)? If you can replace the carbon with Ceramic rings, that would be better. I'm not farmiliar with your filter so I'm not sure if you have the abilities to do that. Also, something to take into consideration is upgrading to a Canister. Oscars are very messy and will need over filtration.

I have two emperor 400's for filtration.I have been doing daily 20% waTER changes.I can take out the ammo-chips but should I take out the media pads also.As you probably already know,the emperor power filters come with the normal media pads that contain carbon and the extra media baskets that can hold ammo-chips or anything you want to put in them.I am filtering 800gallons an hour with these two filters.I am using the fastest master test kit that uses powder and also using the red sea master test kit that uses regeant a and regeant b for ammonia....So you say do one 50%water change first and take out the ammo-chips.Take out my filter media and replace with ceramic rings and do 25%water changes daily.I use Aquarium pharmaceuticals super strength tap water conditioner and cycle in my water changes.Is this a good plan to cycle my tank?

I think that what you have said should work. Once you take a coures of action try not to modify what you are doing too soon. Allow some time to see if it works.

If there is a sponge that fits in or ceramic rings either/both would work. I am not familiar with those filters enough to say....

Back
Top Bottom