cycling with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there certain plants that aren't good to have in a tank while cycling? I seem to have lost quite a few plants in tanks that were cycling.

I had nearly lost an entire batch of anacharis in my 20g high back when it was cycling, which might also be due to the Seachem Excel dose I put in the tank. My corkscrew val melted with the Excel, but it grew back quite nicely. I also had some new buds off the anacharis that was fading, and was able to save those.

The other plant that I had issues with kind of shocked me. My java fern that I had in my currently-cycling 10g tank completely melted down. I also have a something-wort plant in that tank, which is still doing fair for the time being.

Anacharis and java fern are supposed to be super easy to maintain from what I've read. Granted, I always figured I had a black thumb :p, but not to that extreme.

Could it be due to the lack of nutrients, like nitrates? Could it be because of the higher-than-normal amount of either ammonia or nitrites during the cycling process?

I always cycle tanks with plants, and usually sensitive/high light plants at that. If there is ammonia in the tank you do not have a lack of n. Ammonia is readily used by plants as a nitrogen source and is great so long as the concentration isn't over 10 or so ppm. If you are fish less cycling, it should never get that high.

Back
Top Bottom