Dan's First Journal - Iwagumi Style - GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just researching Blyxa Japonica and apparently it's a pretty high maintenance plant that loves soft water and low pH, which I don't have :( I would really like to try this plant, however I'm not sure it would grow well in my tank. What are some other options that are like B. Japonica?

I grew it in hard water and high pH, so take what you will from that. Its not particularly high maintenance in my opinion.

Well the co2 injection will lower your ph. The DW should also lower ph as well as soften the water a bit. You can also mix RO/DI water with your tap to control your levels.. Just some thoughts if you really want to try the Blyxa Japonica...

Another option is Pogostemon Helferi (downoi).. Excellent plant :)

I grew it in hard water and high pH, so take what you will from that. Its not particularly high maintenance in my opinion.

Hey there's Aqua! I mentioned you earlier in this thread. I think Dan can also use your insight on DSM.

I like p. helferi, just no one sells it in good quantities and I was going for a more "bushy and leafy" look I think...well I'm not sure ill see what I want when my tank comes today. I have yet to order any DW or rocks for this yet! I also need to find a cap for this Eco that's like a AS Amazonia Powder Type....and then some white sand. How many pots of HC should I order to fill my tank? Oh and yes, aqua_chem I think I need some help on the DSM - I will PM you later

I think one pot of HC would work. It spreads pretty fast under the right conditions.

Are you buying the B. Japonica locally or online? If online, check out the buy/sell sections of TPT. Something like this The Planted Tank Forum

Yeah I was planning on getting the japonica from AZG where I was getting all my other plants- since I am using DSM and B. japonica cannot be used in the DSM would I just order it all and plant it in my 60g until I flood the tank then re-plant it in the 6g? Also I won't be able to get home until about 7 or 8 tonight so you guys will have to wait until then! I just got an email saying my tank was delivered tho! :)

Subscribed!

For what it's worth (and some may beat me up for saying this :hide:) I think the cost of aquasoil isn't justifiable. Like I said, some AS fans will probably beat me up for saying that, but it's my firm opinion and I'm sticking to it (y) Honestly, for a lower cost you can do a substrate of capped mineralized topsoil, and the plants will like it just the same.

+1 Bud... Im sorta the same way, can't justify the cost either. But judging from the results of ADA AS's, i couldn't argue that it isn't the best considering all the nutrients in it as well as its esthetic appeal. If the money was there to burn, I'd get it in a heart beat - especially, in a nano build since so little is needed.

For me, I just went with the esthetic part of AS and topped my EC (floramax) w/ Fluval Stratum to give it "that look." Although, i think FS has some nutrients as well. But yes, i feel you on the exorbitant cost of ADA substrates, its a little too much IMO... Just my .02 :)

I need to win the lottery so I can do this type of tank! Now I'm debating whether or not I my next tank to be a 75g or this...

+1 Bud... Im sorta the same way, can't justify the cost either. But judging from the results of ADA AS's, i couldn't argue that it isn't the best considering all the nutrients in it as well as its esthetic appeal. If the money was there to burn, I'd get it in a heart beat - especially, in a nano build since so little is needed.

For me, I just went with the esthetic part of AS and topped my EC (floramax) w/ Fluval Stratum to give it "that look." Although, i think FS has some nutrients as well. But yes, i feel you on the exorbitant cost of ADA substrates, its a little too much IMO... Just my .02 :)

Yup. I don't doubt that it's good for the plants and all, I just don't think that $50 for 9l of dirt is a good buy :lol:

Okay guys, I just got home - lots of boxes I opened :) I have pics for you I will upload later! Also, do you guys think i should cap my EC with shrimp stratum? I dont like that gravel look of EC so I think I may order some shrimp stratum to cap it. I just ordered the DW and now I need to find some good stone for it. I thought this would be an iwagumi but Im not so sure anymore lol I will just create my own type of scape :D

Unboxing! WARNING - PICTURE HEAVY POST!

Look at what all I found at my doorstep this evening!

9rog86.jpg

Lets open...this one!

rqvf5e.jpg

Hmm...wonder what It could be...lets open it!

24o4j80.jpg

ab5zc6.jpg

2uszhab.jpg

181vr4.jpg

2im9w2d.jpg

Oh! Its the tank!

2m3gvx5.jpg

i3sbq8.jpg

Lets see what other prizes GLA sent me...

353cpx2.jpg

33bist5.jpg

Some CO2 tubing...

34figdd.jpg

And a glass diffuser!

Lets see what other boxes we can open! What about this one?

2j68v0l.jpg

And...

2gwstmq.jpg

Its my filter! (Fluval 106)

Here is all that came in the box...

2s0hkk9.jpg

And the last box...

21eooj5.jpg

Unboxing! WARNING - PICTURE HEAVY POST! cont.

Opening...

1043yqd.jpg

Its another box! :D

33m4kkk.jpg

Oops nope its the Eco-Complete :)

...aaaand thats it! Here is everything I got today ---

1z2furk.jpg

And here is the tank where it shall be! Right beside Mr. Hamster :D

30bojuq.jpg

Okay! So I guess the Finnex Ray 2 will come tomorrow along with some other stuff maybe...I will order some shrimp stratum and the DW should come soon! Update you later!

Sorry all the pics are sideways :( It took me like forever to upload them all so just try to see it...I really dont want to have to redo it! Sorry again!

Back
Top Bottom