Dark Green tips on my Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squareheads

Aquarium Advice Activist
img_989126_0_faa6441579101b0b84ab2080dfa96500.jpg

Im wondering what's happening to the tips of these Java ferns...

why did it turn soo dark green all of a sudden? I have just recently noticed this

can anyone help me on this? or explain how or why this is happening? because it doesn't look healthy...

Last time I checked my water parameters everything was in a safe level...

the only thing that I have done is add API aquarium salt and bio-supplement to my tank because I have had a little spike of ammonia I believe and I do believe I saw one of my albino get a small problem of Ich, but I do believe that has passed.
-----------------------------------------
Update (june 4 2009)

The green stuff has increased on both leaves and I have noticed that I got a growing leaf at the bottom of the mother fern's roots that has also acquired the Dark Green skin...

img_989126_1_46140f69132bfb99be570abda7e807c7.jpg

Baby Fern

img_989126_2_64ec087d30c8f6bfdfb8f9e0816494b3.jpg

There is now a developing spot on the leaf further back on the picture.

Last edited:
It appears that your java fern is growing. Are those newer leaves? You should notice that the leaves are getting longer.

Phosphorus Old Stunted growth.
Sometimes leaves become darker green
Also symptoms can be similar to nitrogen deficiency
hmmm.. wondering if that is the cause.

if it so, that that is the cause? How may I be able to remedy it?

I'm not sure if they are newer leaves... I got them last month,

Im about to check the link there because I too have a weird issue with my java fern. It acually as grown dark brown roots from the tips of some of the leaves. IS this normal??

It acually as grown dark brown roots from the tips of some of the leaves. IS this normal??

This is the plant reproducing ... the leaf usu start to have dark spots, then sprout roots, followed by leaves at the upper surface. Once the baby plants get big enough (1" or so, 4+ leaves) you can detach them from the mother & plant elsewhere. Sometimes a minor injury to the leaf will trigger the baby plants. <If you really want to start a bunch of new plants, detach one leaf & let it float, you'll get dozens of babies.>

Back
Top Bottom