Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Flying Foxes and Chinese Algae Eaters are both different from Siamese Algae Eaters. It is generally pretty well excepted that true Siamese Algae Eaters are the best species for algae consumption. The other two species look very similar but are generally known to stop eating algae once they reach maturity. While some SAEs will also become more finicky with age, people generally have much better long term success with true SAEs when it comes to algae consumption, and the tendency towards aggression that the other similar species exhibit.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Flying Foxes and Chinese Algae Eaters are both different from Siamese Algae Eaters. It is generally pretty well excepted that true Siamese Algae Eaters are the best species for algae consumption. The other two species look very similar but are generally known to stop eating algae once they reach maturity. While some SAEs will also become more finicky with age, people generally have much better long term success with true SAEs when it comes to algae consumption, and the tendency towards aggression that the other similar species exhibit.
I second that 100%! Although, I have seen true SAEs labeled as Siamese Flying Foxes or just Flying Foxes. I think certain distributers are responsible for the mislabeling. I've even seen plain Flying Foxes labeled as SAEs. That pissed me off. >:-(

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Actinic Lamps

For those keeping track of my saga and anyone learning from my mistakes, I may have discovered another issue. Reading extensively on this site it sounds like actinic lamps are better suited for SW tanks, not FW. I was using one 6700 lamp and one actinic as somewhere on the Coralife packaging it stated that actinic helps to promote photosynthesis...but I think that is meant for coral and algae photosynthesis

I had a Coralife Colormax readily available so I have that and the original 6700 K lamp in the fixture now.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is probably going to serve to make the algae problem worse unless you address the co2 issue. Doubling the light will create an even larger imbalance.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

After reading everything that has been posted thusfar, I agree that it's the lighting. Having said that, it's also the dosing of the entire line of Seachem ferts that caused the initial algal bloom. The Eco-Complete substrate you're using is a great base for nutrients. Dumping tons of extra ferts is a recipe for disaster.
You don't need to buy fish to solve this problem either. The water changes as well as not using the Seachem ferts and cut back light time should solve your problem. Good Luck, I found this out the hard way too!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Edit: Not using the Seachem ferts until the problem is uunder control..then conservatively.*
Haha
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good summary. I agree completely with all of that.

Best of luck to the OP on getting it solved.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

+1 to that
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

After all of the advice from this site, I have been closely monitoring my tank for 12+ days now and things appear to be getting better. I'm not confident yet, but I'm hoping that the early signs that I think I see are true. The plants look more perky and I'm seeing new life on them, my fish are more active and look good, and the water is crystal clear. The nitrate tests are still looking higher than they should be but aren't immediately zooming up fast and hard like they used to.

The only additive I'm putting in right now is Excel.

Time will tell.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you remove your bio-wheels?

I am concerned for the health of my fish and I am wondering if removing one would be good enough (My filter has 2).

To fill you in a little on my issue, I have had the DIY Co2 system in for about 10 days now, and I have not seen my PH drop at all. (Which is supposed to be a sign of Co2 in the water.)

Steps I have taken are:

- Putting the light on a timer for 10 hrs a day from 12, looks like I need to go even shorter though.
- Putting my air stones on a timer, they run for short 10 minute boosts here and there and from 7pm to 7am. It may still be too much... but my fish loves to play in the bubbles.

I would love any advice you might have! Your thread has been most helpful!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com