De-snailing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello my planted tank pals... I Just ordered some java fern from a online dealer. I know it isnt the best way to get them but it was a deal. I hope it isnt going to cost me with a snail problem...

cut to the question... I wanted to know if any of you have any pre-planting tricks to ridding plants of snails. soaking? washing? inspecting?

thanks guys!

people have various methods...qt'ing is one way. dipping is another. I generally dip mine in h2o2, but some people don't like to. But... I don't do it for snails, I actuallly like snails. I have several big pond snails in my tanks.

Well I hear people put the plants in water with a slice if cucumber...or lettuce...or you could just put them in the tank and get an assassin snail! :)

discusdude said:
Hello my planted tank pals... I Just ordered some java fern from a online dealer. I know it isnt the best way to get them but it was a deal. I hope it isnt going to cost me with a snail problem...

cut to the question... I wanted to know if any of you have any pre-planting tricks to ridding plants of snails. soaking? washing? inspecting?

thanks guys!

I've always rinsed new plants in tap water and just recently started to QT them when I got ick from some new plants, some people use a deluted bleach mix as a dip. Inspection might help, but not sure what the eggs look like so that wouldn't work for me.

eggs are kinda clear in a half moon shape. pretty easy to spot once you know what you're looking for. often, they are on the bottom side of the leaf, but they can be anywhere.

I also like the H2O2 dips, but I'm not totally opposed to snails. I've got MTS and ramshorns in my tanks. I may have some bladder snails, which look a bit like really big pond snails, but I think my assassins got them.

Back
Top Bottom