Dead Green Water Algae! Urgent!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquazan

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI Everyone!

I recentley bought a UV sterilizer, THe green killing machine (100 gallon tank kind) and I put it in yesterday. My tank is GREEEN, and it is clearing up. ALthough, I have heard that the dead algae will cause "organics" to go up.

Can someone explain this to me? I suppose it means ammonia/nitrite/nitrate will go up.

WHat should I do to combat Dead green water algae?

This is very urgent, as the sterilizer is running as I type this.

P.S. My 75 gallon tank is almost 2 months old (7 weeks), and is fullly cycled, I have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, and 0 ammonia as it is a planted tank.

You have to do daily WC's to remove the dead algae. I'd do 50% at a crack so you can keep water parameters in check. Also in a planted tank you shouldn't have 0 nitrates, plants need nitrates as one of their macro nutrients. Nitrates should be 10-20ppms. Are you dosing ferts?

You have to do daily WC's to remove the dead algae. I'd do 50% at a crack so you can keep water parameters in check. Also in a planted tank you shouldn't have 0 nitrates, plants need nitrates as one of their macro nutrients. Nitrates should be 10-20ppms. Are you dosing ferts?

Yea I am dosing ferts, haha I havent checked nitrates in a while, but with %50 water changes, wouldnt it become 0 anyways? Wait, so do you mean 50 percent everyday or just oncee?

If it were my tank I would do 50% everyday "only" while you are having alot of algae die off. If your water is cleaning in one day it should be done in maybe 3 totally. I'd do the WC's daily until your water is clear. Then do one final WC and go back to your weekly schedule.

I use dry ferts and dose PPS-Pro and on WC day I don't dose ferts till I'm done with my WC. The thing about nitrates is not only will your plants suffer without nutrients but cyanobacteria aka blue green algae is more prone to hitting tanks that the nitrate levels are under 10ppm.

Put a sponge over the outflow from the UV unit and clean it twice a day until the green is gone.

Back
Top Bottom