Decided to go CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macrosill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7757250108
What else do I need? I think I need a reactor, tank and i should be set. Do I need anything else?

Tank is 55 gal. 2 65 watt 6700 pc's. Plants, fish, diatoms and some hair algea taking hold. The CO2 should take care of this.
ph 7.6(due to the low co2)
co2 3.9 ppm
kh 4
gh 6
nitrate 20
phosphates 1
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

I am dosing nitrates and phosphates to levels required. Plantex csm+b every other day 15ml, potassium 2x a week at 15ppm

Any suggestions?

Brian

Yup, just a tank and a reactor. I got my reactor on ebay as well, and got my tank locally. Might even think about getting a bottle or 2 of calibration solution and one of the probe cleaning solution, just to have it on hand.

check to see the price difference between 5lb and 10lb CO2 cylinders in your area. a lot of times the 10lb isn't much more, it'll last you twice as long, and the re-fill price is usually only a couple $ more than a 5lb fill. I pay $12 for 5lbs and $14 for 10lbs here in Lincoln.

I think you can get 5lb, 10lb, 15lb, and 20lb. Unsure on the 15lb, but I know there's a 20lb. If the 20lb isn't too much more, that will just be that much longer between refills. But for my 5lb, It's been going over 2 months and my guage hasn't moved yet.

Also depends on your setup as to whether you will use a lot of CO2 or not. If you have a biowheel on the tank, you will use more, but it's still possible to keep your levels just fine, just will need a good reactor and more CO2. But if using a cannister like mine, I'm keeping my CO2 between 30-46ppm and I don't think it's putting out quite 2 bubbles per second. The better the reactor, the easier to maintain levels. So if you have surface aggitation, I'd at least go with the 10lb, as you will use more CO2.

Co2 guages don't move. if it's moving, then you need to get it filled.

The best thing you can do is weigh it empty, weigh it full (should be 5lb or 10lb repective to the size of the tank).. Zero a bathroom scale to compensate for the weight of the tank and this will show you the volume left in the tank.

20lb cylinders are pretty tall, like 30-36" I believe, so they don't really fit under a cabinet well. 5lb and 10lb cylinders are roughly the same height, but different diameters.

I went and bought a 5 lb cylinder today from my local welding supply store. I also bought a reg/valve/bubble counter and solenoid on ebay along with a reactor. As soon as the ebay items arrive I will be in business. Is there any special tubing to use? Can I just use vinyl or silicone air line tubing?

Thanks

I received all my Pressurized Co2 system parts and have installed it onto my tank. Here are some tank parameters, prior to adding the Co2:

55 gal tank
2 55 watt 6700k pc's = 14.75 lumens/sq inch
Nitrates - 30, after dosing 22ppm this morning
Phosphates - 1
ph - 7.7, according to my Milwaukee ph monitor, 7.2 according to my AP test kit.
kh - 4
gh - 6
temp - 86.9 due to evidence of Ich on 4 GBR's
Also stocked with 12 Neon Tetras and 2 Dwarf Gouramis
2 Amazon Swords
2 Wisteria
2 Water Primrose(ludwigia)
1 Onion
2 Anacharis
2 possibly stargrass
2 posiibly green hygro
And 2 snail so far, I guess they came on one of the plants

I am not too sure about the last two plants listed

I hooked up the Co2 system and at 2 bubbles/sec the ph would only go down to 7.5. So I upped the bubble rate and got the ph down to 6.8. kh stayed at 4. According to Chucks Co2 chart that puts me at about 19 ppm Co2.

I read that a range of 10-25 ppm Co2 is a good target area. Is this correct? Is the 6.8 ph a good level for my planted tank? Anything else I should do, get or need?

I think I have just about everything possible for this tank now. I have spent way over my budget for this tank. The reef tank will have to sit dorment for a while now.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom