Detritus in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tosviolation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a moderately planted aquarium with low lighting a various crypt plants. I do my water changes which are 25% twice a week, But I usually don't go digging into my substrate too often for fear of causing crypt melt. Now my question is about the detritus. Is it going to harm my fish that I don't vacuum it out? Or is it becoming fertilizer for my plants? I use root tabs because I have a gravel substrate, bit i have noticed that when I poke the vac deep in there i can get some brown stuff out.

That brown stuff is probably vishpooo, that builds up quite a bit in the gravel..

So do I just vacuum the open areas of the substrate? Like I said I don't want to go poking into my crypts roots and cause a massive meltdown, but I dont want waste in my tank hurting my livestock. Will the plants take care of most of it ?

I also dont want to really vacuum to deep because them Im just wasting my root tabs right? Just looking for advice

Personally, all my tanks are planted and therefor have spots that I can't really vacuum, I just poke around the first inch of gravel where I can.

Just hover your vac over the gravel. Its no big deal if you dont get it all. The beneficial bacteria will take care of the harmful chemicals created by detritus

I just wave my hand gently around the plants and over the substrate right before my WC's to lift any loose detritus into the water column and do my WC. I have kept planted tanks over 5 years without ever doing a gravel vac. You can gravel vac any area's that are open if desired but keep well away from plant roots so as not to damage them. By doing 50% WC's weekly I have never had issues with high nutrient levels in the tanks that aren't gravel vacuumed.

Back
Top Bottom