Diana Walstad Natural Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, seein' as how it has been 3 days, I figured I would update. Just checked water params and it seems as though seeding the tank and generously planting led to an instantly cycle! No ammonia or nitrite with a temp. holding steady at 77*F. Not much growth yet, but I guess it will take a little while for the plants to really take off.

I also haven't had any signs of algae, but I may start doing some weekly/bi-weekly water changes to avoid excess nutrients.

Update

Well, been very busy the last month so I am just getting around to updating. The NPT is coming along very nicely. There was a moderate outbreak of thread algae (not sure why, but ALL of my tanks get thread algae), but it starved itself out and there is only some GSP starting to show. I am probably going to prune for the first time tomorrow since the wisteria has grown to the water's surface and the anacharis is finally growing well.

I apologize for the crummy picture quality, having problems getting a good, clear one.

Well, been very busy the last month so I am just getting around to updating. The NPT is coming along very nicely. There was a moderate outbreak of thread algae (not sure why, but ALL of my tanks get thread algae), but it starved itself out and there is only some GSP starting to show. I am probably going to prune for the first time tomorrow since the wisteria has grown to the water's surface and the anacharis is finally growing well.
lookin good :)

Just wanted to give one more update:

Pruned my tank back on the July 24th and went on vacation. Got back yesterday evening. In just over a week, my wisteria grew about 2 inches :eek:. I am officially a huge proponent of the Diana Walstad Planted Tank. I haven't done many water changes since the tank was set up and the nitrates are really low, almost 0.

Cool. I'm on my second "NPT"...it's more of a pseudo NPT because I'm not doing Walstad step by step, just soil, no ferts and no CO2 :-D.

Looks good.

Thanks.

I am astonished at how well it is finally doing. Just wish she didn't look so cramped in the tank.

Very cool tank, don't DW tanks normally only have a powerhead for water movement instead of filtration and the plants use the ammo and such as plant food? I was thinking of doing something like this my empty 10 gallon.

Yeah, but you don't have to be filter-free. I'd feel weird not having a filter. There shouldn't be a consistent source of ammonia; DW only emphasizes that some species of plants are very good at consuming/converting ammonia when present in the tank...she also has a paragraph or two on how ammonia can do harm to plants. The soil, fish waste and fish food all provide nutrients.

Technically you aren't, but I agree with Marconis. I feel the filter is very handy at getting some of the dirt out of the water columns as opposed to no filter. Though the filter on this tank is only a trickle most of the time since strainer is clogged on a normal basis.

Yeah, but you don't have to be filter-free. I'd feel weird not having a filter. There shouldn't be a consistent source of ammonia; DW only emphasizes that some species of plants are very good at consuming/converting ammonia when present in the tank...she also has a paragraph or two on how ammonia can do harm to plants. The soil, fish waste and fish food all provide nutrients.

Ah that makes a little more sense, I have only done a bit of light reading on the subject. Looks like i have a new research project!

I highly recommend her book. I'm reading it little by little and in pieces, but it has been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom