Diary of the 29G planted tank... New pics 4/28/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lookin very nice. i need to clean up under my tank, got stuff everywhere, mount things to the sides to get more space and to keep them in a drip loop.

The next step is adding plants.

29g28.jpg

29g29.jpg

29g30.jpg

I bumped the ammonia up to 1ppm, and also swapped out half the media from in the XP3. If all's gone toorrow, then it's time to move the fish. We'll see how the plants take the bleach dip. I did a 1:10 bleach to water, and dipped for 1 minute. Then rinsed under the tap real well, and placed in a bucket of fresh water, and added 4x the dechlor, and swished the plants well. Then added to the tank. :)

Edit:
Hope I don't have much problems with algae, as I'm running about 3w/g with Excel only for now, til I save enough money for another complete CO2 system. Was thinking about possibly a DIY setup temporarily with 2 2L bottles, but will think about it.

LWB, tank is looking great, it is a 29 gallon, isn't it? I'm very interested in the lights you have on it, they will work well on a fresh water tank even though is states for a reef tank?

I am so glad that your doing a diary on this tank, I'm learning so much for this.

Linda

Yes, the lights will work just fine. And it is a 29G. It comes with an actinic bulb, which I took out and put in a 50/50 bulb. I'm at 3w/g with no CO2, and dosing Excel. They list it as a reef tank due to it being shipped with actinics in the fixture. Then I will definitely need CO2 injection to be able to pull out the 50/50 bulb and run a regular 65W CF bulb, which will bring it up to nearly 4w/g.

Edit:
I put in 1ppm ammonia yesterday, and still have .25ppm ammonia. Guess I'm going to need to wait til the cycle completes, even though I feel the tank will handle the 4 fish as it is. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Edit Again:
Results so far on the bleach dip. The L. repens seems to be doing just fine. The sword (I think. Can't remember the type, the one in my 29G on the right side back) seems to be doing just fine as well. The corkscrew vals that I just rinsed in tap water are doing well, and the ones that I diped in bleach are melting away fast. I only did the 1 minute dip as well.

Results so far on the bleach dip.

Forgive the newbee question LWB, just wondering what the bleach dip is for? Never even thought about doing that to my plants in the 10gal I had. Just gleening info for the tank when I finally set it up. TIA

The bleach dip is for hopefully killing off any algae on the plant. But keep in mine it might kill the plant as well. Basically it's 10 cups water to 1 cup bleach, with no detergents or additives. Just plain pure bleach. Dip plants in the solution for 1 minute. Then rinse off well under the tap water, then dip in a bucket of water with 4x dechlorinator to remove any residual bleach. My sword seems to be doing well, and the L. repens also doing well. But the corkscrew vals are melting away.

Basically, you don't do it when you buy new plants. If you are moving plants from one tank to another, and want to take the chaance and try killing off any algae on it, it usually works well in some cases. Or if you are pulling all the plants out of an existing tank for algae removal, and replanting, you can do it. But the success rate seems to be 50/50 in most cases I've seen. It's almost best to just remove the plants and buy new, and start from scratch.

Just remember, it may affect or even kill the plant as well. Hardy plants tend to do better, but plants like vals, which is also affected by Excel, just melts away.

Edit:
The tank is now cycled. I put in about 1ppm ammonia this morning, and tonight after work, it was 0ppm. So that's in just under 12 hours. Will keep feeding the bacteria ammonia til I put my bolivians in this weekend. I don't want to rush it in the evening, want time to acclimate properly, and try to have the least amount of stress.

Also, my 10G is now cycled as well. It uses up 2ppm in just under 24 hours. So all's good to go. Not sure what I want to do ti it though. Just sitting empty. Any ideas? Maybe for the eggs or fry? Or let the parents raise them in the 29G?

Good question. I think you should leave the tank empty, maybe a brig snail or something to keep it up and save it for the fry in case mom and dad decide they do not want to raise them....

When my convicts had fry, they got mad at me for looking in all the time and all the babies disappeared one day. So, my theory.... leave it for the fry- in case you need it. Can always make a shrimp and snail tank later.

*I have my first clutch of ivory snails... so there may be some available. Often the first clutch is infertile.. but you never know*

Well, I thought my 29G was cycled, but this morning, my ammonia was 0ppm, but I had around .25ppm nitrites still. So I'll wait a bit longer til the nitrites disappear. Not going to chance it with my Bolivians. I may also order a few plants this weekend for delivery next week when I'm on vacation. Will give me something to do, lol. And a few more plants will help with my cycle as well.

As for the 10G, it's definitely for raising fry. But if the parents do just fine, I'll still have it as a QT tank as well. I just don't want to be adding ammonia every day just to keep it up to par. lol.

Here's another idea. Since I have neons in my 26G, instead of adding ammonia all the time, how about adding a school of neons to the 10G? And then if I decide to add fry, or need it in an emergency, I can always transfer the neons to my 26G. Sound like a good plan? That way, I have fish in it as well, and it's just not sitting there empty.

Or should I get 1 bag of Eco Complete and deck it out with live plants, and use it as a planted QT/Fry tank? Would need to be low light though, unless I went with DIY CO2.

My only problem is, the more planted tanks I have, the harder it is for me to keep up with them, lol. Since my long hours at work, working sometimes 6 and 7 days a week, it's tough. But working on the tanks, especially my 75G, is more relaxing than anything, even if I have to pull out the python, lol.

I'm not sure the neons would do too well with all that moving. Aren't they easily stressed?

They wouldn't be moved much at all, as I'm nearing max capacities anyways, and won't be QT'ing new fish. Would only be moved if there's a serious injury or other problem. And as for fry, when moved to my 26G, they will just stay there and will keep the fry in the 10G. It's just to temporarily keep the tank cycled til I have another use for it, fry or QT. Once moved to the 26G, they won't go back to the 10G. and if I empty the 10G and need fish to keep it cycled, will just go and buy a few more neons.

Back
Top Bottom