Diary of the 29G planted tank... New pics 4/28/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Bolivians have been moved to their new home now. I have the lights off for a bit to help reduce stress. Talk about tough trying to catch them in a heavily planted tank, lol. I had to get my big net out. I placed it in the middle, and I used my bare hand going through the plants to direct the Bolivians where I wanted them to go. Practically had to dive in to get them, lol. But the transition has gone smooth so far. Hope they enjoy their new home. This morning, both ammonia and nitrite were 0ppm. Tomorrow will do 1 more PWC just to get a little more fresh water in there. :)

Current stocking: 3 Bolivian Rams and 1 female BN Pleco. Will keep it at that. :)

Edit:

Here's a couple pics. Sorry for them being not so great, but there's too much light coming through the windows, and the reflection on the glass is bad. Will get better ones at night. :)

29g31.jpg

29g32.jpg

29g33.jpg

Wow that background paint looks awesome! It looked good before in the setup pictures but now it blends perfectly with the Eco-complete. Very nice! I'm sure the rams like their new, peaceful home!

Yup, just need to play around with driftwood placement and a few more plants, and I'll be set. Gonna get a little bit of red in there too, moreso than the L. repens is giving me. Might go for a Red Rubin Sword, Red Tiger Lotus, and Rotala Magenta. Was also looking at Ammannia Senegalensis, Red Myrio, and Rotalla Wallichii.

Also, that gives my lil miss kitty a TV. She's got it on Channel Bolivian TV. She'll love watching the Bolivians. LOL

Edit:

Well, got hit by the dreaded diatoms, lol. I didn't think I would get them since the driftwood is from another tank. Guess I was wrong, lol. Diatoms everywhere. Guess I'll deal with it for a couple weeks til it goes away. :)

Did tests today....

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate about 15ppm
kh 70
ph 7.2
temp 86 - 8 days and counting down to bring temps back down to normal. :)

And All Is Well......... (y)

29g34.jpg

29g35.jpg

29g36.jpg

29g37.jpg

29g38.jpg

29g39.jpg

29g40.jpg

29g41.jpg

29g42.jpg

Dilemma:

The big male Bolivian is starting to be more aggressive to the other male now. Should I move the other Bolivian back to the 75G? Never seen him this aggressive before. I think he's getting a little stressed. And I think the 2 are getting ready to spawn again.

It may be a case of the third wheel getting in the way. If he is looking stressed it may be a good idea to move him so he doesn't get hurt and he doesnt distract your potential breeders.

They were so peaceful before, but now outright attacking him, lol. But the BN Pleco, they just ignore it, lol. The pleco has free run of the tank, probably til the eggs, then they will probably keep it away from the nest. Think I'll move him out today.

Edit:
I had to reacclimate the single Bolivian back to the 75G. He was just getting harrassed too much, and has a small torn fin. But he'll be fine. He's back with his other buddies where he doesn't get harrassed. :)

Tanks looking good! Can't wait to see some fry pics =) hehe

lol........ya know that just reminded me of my attempts at the "lay eggs here" signs.

On a few different occasions I've tried to get kribs to lay eggs in caves that I had designed and positioned so that I would get a good view of the action.

NOT ONE TIME! Not one.......did they lay them where I had hoped they would.

I think........just to spite me :D

They found the one in my 75G, and that's where they always layed their eggs. Then I put this one in, with just a little bit exposed, and the male cleaned it all off, lol. My bet is that's their pad. :)

I was also looking at putting up a No Fishing sign as well, lol.

Edit:
Score 1 point against the BN Pleco, lol....

I moved the female BN back to the 75G, teed me off, lol. The Female Bolivian looked like she was getting ready to lay eggs, and the BN Pleco attacked her, lol. So now it's just the 2 by themselves. Their own tank. :)

Come on you female Bolivian, lol......

She's being a bit over protective, won't let the male near the eggs to help her out like he used to in the 75G. When he tries to come near, her fins are fully spread, and she attacks. LOL

Edit:
Here's a pic of her in her rampage, lol..... Was a lot of glare on the glass, no quality not there....

29g59.jpg

29g60.jpg

Well, the eggs didn't hatch. And after doing all she could, decided to eat the eggs. It was just too long, and no wigglers. Also, they have been acting pretty weird, so I decided to add the 3rd male back in. The other male still seems to be hiding, and the other male is with the female. But now and then she chases him. Maybe I should have left the 3rd one in, as I was also reading that their aggression is just pushing and shoving, and they don't really hurt the other party, while spawning. But we'll see.

Sorry to hear that it didn't go well Wolf. Stands to reason that something was odd and I have a theory. You may have inadvertently removed the wrong male? It would explain a number of things that you have observed.

It's possible, yes. The one I removed was the one hiding, the one that kept getting attacked by the other male, who was over with the female. But they are now together, and it's back to normal, the one male has come out and is being aggressive towards the other male again, and is staying with the female. Will keep them together, as I've been doing a little research, and from what I can find, they don't actually hurt the other fish, just aggressive taps. We'll see next go around with all 3 in the tank. :)

Also, they are still not eating, as far as I've seen. Going on 4 days now where they haven't touched any food. And I've been leaving the food in til it gets kind uf yukky, then take it out with a turkey baster and replace with new. They've never went on a hunger strike before, lol.

New update:
Finally got them to eat. I spot fed them with a turkey baster, squirted in some frozen bloodworms. They are eating them up like crazy.... Then I spot fed the male in hiding, and he's eating too. What a relief... :)

Back
Top Bottom