Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also just ordered those caves, as I thought the terra cotta would take away from the natural look. I also ordered a bunch of black and red lava stone, and other variuos rocks as well. And I picked out the rock I know won't affect the ph as well, so I'm good there. It's going to look great. Got about 15lbs of rock coming, lol.

hi again...

Got some more pics, the next stage is complete. Got the rest of my Eco complete, and filled the tank.

I shouldn't have used so much, but oh well, lol. I used 8 bags in my 75G, which gives me about 3 inches in the front, and slightly sloping to about 4 inches in the back. I probably should have stayed with just 7 bags. So now what do I do with my last 2 bags of Eco Complete? A 20G planted tank? lol MTS, MTS, MTS, what are we going to do with you, lol. :nono:

Attachments

• 75g10_177.jpg
    75g10_177.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 71
Currently running my powerhead with the water polishing filter on it to clear up some of the water. Will leave it running for a day, then let it settle. I also added a tiny bit of ammonia, so that any bacteria in the gravel will start to grow, til I get the time to get the filter going. Once the water is clear, and the filter is installed, will post another pic. Then my next step after that is to get some time to go and get the CO2 bottle, which I'm getting locally. Then it's time to start ordering plants. I should have all the rock Wed, and checked on my driftwood, shipping is still pending. Might have to call them and get a fire lit under their butts, lol. I really don't want to order plants til I have the driftwood. But I do have time, as the tank needs time to settle.

Oh, this is a great thread. Watch that ammonia dosing man. I did that (well, over-did it actually) and ended up battling GW for a week). Keep up the good work, this is extremely informative (not to mention interesting). :)

Oh, I just did 2 small splashes, probably not even 2ppm. Probably about 1ppm. I did it when cycling my 55G, so have a pretty good idea how much I put in. Aimed for about 1-1.5ppm.

Oh, and my filter has been running on my 55G since Christmas, so it's well cycled. Just doing the ammonia thing til I move the filter over after everything settles.

I also found that my floor isn't level either. lol. When filling, the left side of the tank the water is about a half inch higher than the right side. Shouldn't be a problem, as the tank and stand is on a solid flat tile floor. It's just in this old house, the floor isn't exactly level, lol. And I don't want to shim up the left side of the stand, as it won't have as much support in the middle. Wouldn't want to have problems structurally with the stand and have it collapse due to the weight. My 55G is the same way, but it's in the Master Bedroom on concrete slab. The house is only about 100 years old. :)

wow just discoverd this post, dammit wolf your taking to long anxiety is kicking in more more more!

hi again...

Tank is full. Got my rock today, but don't want to do anything til I get my driftwood next week. Here's a couple current pics.

Attachments

• 75g14_141.jpg
    75g14_141.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 65
Got my driftwood last night. Wasn't as nice as I expected. In fact, the branchy one wasn't as branchy as I thought it would be, or at least as it was in the picture. And seems much smaller too. And I thought the other one had a couple branches as well, but what I got is just a log with a bend in it. This will have to do for now, I guess. Going to Petco today to see if they have any more Malaysian driftwood on the shelf, so I can get a few darker pieces in there as well.

Either tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to remove half of the water, clean the inside glass (looks to have dust build-up from the eco complete), and put in the driftwood and rock. I did test my water, and my ammonia was at 1ppm, and nitrite 0ppm, and 0ppm nitrate. The ammonia was from the splash of ammonia I added to get some bacteria started up in the gravel.

Will get more pics when this stage is complete. Then it will be time to start ordering the plants. :)

Here's some new pics. Not much added, but is the next step....

Lava caves didn't work out so well, all they did was float, lol. So now I coated the bottom of the cave sides in aquarium sealant and put on some granite pieces. Hopefully this will be enough to keep them down. Even the heavy driftwood wasn't heavy enough to weight it down, lol. So I'm hoping the granite and slate pieces I'm using will do the trick. So here's the pics of the driftwood....

75g16.jpg

75g17.jpg

75g18.jpg

75g19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom