Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi...

As you know, I'm starting my first planted tank. I'm going to post pics here as I go step by step. I set the tank on the stand, assembled and installed the light system. It's a 260W fixture with 2 12000k 65W bulbs in the back and 2 6400k 65W bulbs in the front of the fixture. Here's my first pics.

Angle # 1

75g1.jpg

Angle # 2

75g2.jpg

Angle # 3 coming through front door.

75g3.jpg

Will post pics as I complete each step.

hi again...

Step 2 complete. The back is painted. I probably should have gone darker, but thought this color would do well. And it does. I really like it......

75g4.jpg

75g5.jpg

75g6.jpg

You won't be able to see the strip at the top, as it's not visible, and the strip along the bottom will be covered with gravel and behind everything. Monday I should be getting half of the plant gravel, 100lbs of Eco Complete (5 bags). The other half is on back-order. (y)

How much of a bottom do you think 100lbs Eco Complete will give me?

What I really like is the light system. I got it for less than 100.00.

The calc here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=sanddepth

estimates 100 lbs of sand would give about 2" of depth in your tank... i would think the eco (being of larger grains) would probably give a bit more, but not too much.

If it runs a little short you could mix a 50lb bag of sand (either pool filter or black sandblasting sand) to thicken it up a bit. You'd still have 2/3 eco, so it should still be effective.

he's got the other stuff on order already.. :)

Lone I love the tank. Wish I had the floor space !!! I'd do it in a second.

The background looks great. I rethink my black all the time.

Yup, the other half is on the way. Just wondering if I'll need another half. But will probably use it all, as I could have it deeper in the back for some of the taller plants.

I dig the background. 75gal looks like a very nice shape.

I love the background, thinking about something on that idea for my 29 gallon planted tank. I like the neutral effect versus the blues and blacks.

Looking forward to more photos!

New update. Got confirmation from bigalsonline that the 2nd half of the Eco Complete is in and is being shipped. So I'll have the first half tomorrow, and the 2nd half next Monday. Still working on a layout and types of plants to get.

Only problem I'm having now is driftwood and rocks. I'd like 2 pieces of driftwood, and at least 1 large rock, and maybe some smaller ones. I've searched the web, online stores, and ebay, but just can't find the shape I'm wanting for the big piece of driftwood. The smaller piece I'll just find a good deal and get it. I'm looking for something about 20-24 inches long, 5-7 inches in diameter, and maybe has some branches or like a rood system, and holes for fish to hide and swim through. I'll keep looking. Also want a good sized piece of lava rock, or something like that. Doesn't need to have any holes. I just don't want anything that looks like the store-bought ones that look like an arch. :|

Any ideas out there of where to look? I don't mind a little extra on shipping, if it's the exact piece I want. Would be worth it to me. :)

Here's what I ordered....

Any place for large rocks? Like lava rock? I have a large white quartz, but don't think white will work good in there. What do you think? Would it compliment the Marble Blusher Angels I'm getting? All white with black markings.

EDIT - They took the pics off, as my order is being processed and shipped, so those driftwood are no longer available.

Jchillin said:
Just imagine attaching java ferns or moss to those pieces. The first one looks more complicated so it's more useful IMO.

Yup, it's a great piece. Will attach some java ferns to the back side of it, and maybe a little java moss. But that piece is mostly for the fish. The other piece will be java ferns and moss on the other end of the tank. The way I'm looking at it, the branchy one on the right side of the tank extending towards the middle, and the other angled and with plants on the left, with a cave under it. Then a stone towards the middle, with smaller stones around it and throughout the tank. The other cave will be near the branched driftwood, or maybe under it as well, depending on how it sits.

Oh, the stone...my LFS has tons of fedder and pagoda stone. I have a few pieces that I recently removed from my tank (to allow for more plant room). If you need to see any of it, just check my pics. The only issue is creating caves (which I'm sure you can do). The one I removed is the one on the left, the one on the right still strives. I also used some river rocks (those small smooth stones). Your LFS may have some stones but they usually hide these in the back...ask about it.

All others are not authentic and ruins the "natural" look. :)

Back
Top Bottom