diatom algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its normal and will go away on its own in a few weeks, but a few little Otto cats will clean it up in no time. Brown Diatoms are their favorite snack.

I have had this problem too and it never did go away. However, before swithching to a planted tank, I found that by limiting my lighting to 6 hrs a day and being careful not to overfeed that I was able to keep it very manageable. Also you can use a special filter medium to eliminate the silicates (essential for diatom survival) in your water. I just ordered this today: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4207

HTH

:D

Unusual eykis; diatoms are usually a sign of a LACK of light, as well as silicates and extra nutrients in the tank, and increasing light levels seems to help to keep them down to a dull roar. That being said, my otos inhaled the diatoms and I haven't seen any since they moved into the tank.

Allivymar, yes, i thought it unusual myself as i know diatoms are supposed to thrive in low light but i swear that was my experience. now that i have a planted tank, i have a 65w pc strip light on a 20 gal high and still have the problem. i think our water must be high in silcates or something. yeah, i've been bugging the lfs to get some otos but they haven't yet.

I was told by someone in this forum that diatoms will be replaced by other green algae which are more efficient at using the available nutrients after the initial passage of the brown diatom bloom.

But if you've got Ottos, the diatoms "otto" be gone. This is for Ali who can appreciate an extra bad pun. Another forum member added: "Ottos don't do windows. You'll have to clean the glass" :) .

Who provided the initial diagnosis that the algae was "diatomous?" Where did you get your info, Todd2?

I saw that there was all this brown stuff in my tank, so i looked in my fish book and it said this under diatoms, "These algae proliferate in aquariums with high nitrate levels. Diatoms form a brown slime on the gravel, rocks, decorations, and aquarium glass. Heavy concentrations of diatoms will discolor the water" So i figured its gotta be diatom algae.

Back
Top Bottom